cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wgargaro
Community Participant

Correct Answers for Essay Questions

Jump to solution

Forgive me is this is answered somewhere - I looked and i was not able to find it.

I use question banks regularly to assign quizzes with MC and Essay (short answer) questions.  Of course you can set when and if students can see the correct answers on a quiz, but I have not been able to see if I can enter a correct answer for essay questions.

I do section quizzes and am not always able to grade the last section quiz before the test and thought if I can open the correct answers after they take it - it would allow students to see the correct answers to study.

I thought the box below the question box was where I could put it - but upon further investigation it appears that is not what that box is for.

Can anyone help with this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@wgargaro , actually you were correct about the box below the essay question being where you enter in the general answer comments (i.e., answer). See the following guide and the screen shot of how it would look to students - How do I create an Essay quiz question?

Yet, beware that the students WILL be able to see this feedback as soon a they are done taking the quiz unless you have the quiz muted (and then unmute it after the last section is done) OR have the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" box unchecked.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  @wgargaro ​,

Canvas can't automatically grade essay questions so it doesn't give you a place to store a "correct answer." So the short answer is, no. There have been various conversations and ideas about where to store grading notes, and that seems more applicable to what you're looking for.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@wgargaro , actually you were correct about the box below the essay question being where you enter in the general answer comments (i.e., answer). See the following guide and the screen shot of how it would look to students - How do I create an Essay quiz question?

Yet, beware that the students WILL be able to see this feedback as soon a they are done taking the quiz unless you have the quiz muted (and then unmute it after the last section is done) OR have the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" box unchecked.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

cmyers2
Community Member

I have a related question.  I used the general answer comments box to add the correct answer to my essay question.  I did not allow students to see quiz responses until I'd finished grading the quiz.

After all students had taken the quiz, I returned it to students with both quiz responses and correct answers turned on.  

However, the students could not see the answer comments I had entered for the essay question.

LockDown Browser was required for students taking the quiz and viewing feedback.

What am I doing wrong?

mikeg
Community Participant

You're not doing anything wrong.  The 'general answer comments' are frozen on a per student basis at the time they complete the quiz and do not update even if you edit them in the quiz itself.   This is an instance of poor software design.  I am looking for a solution.  See my post at: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/157894-update-essay-question-key-general-comments-during-or-...   for more details.