Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alfredo_alcanta
Community Contributor

Course Card Colors

Jump to solution

Hi Community,

I understand that the new UI offers the ability to update the course card colors, what I do not understand is when viewing "all courses" why do some classes have the little squares by the courses in the course listings and others do not?

Here is a screenshot. 

Thanks!

Inline image 1

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

You mean n=2 is not a sufficient sample size!?  What are you, a psychologist or something?  Oh, wait....

View solution in original post

alfredo_alcanta
Community Contributor

First--no luck when I favorited (is that a verb?)  all of the sections. The squares didn't appear. I unfavorited them and then re-favorited the first four. I confirmed they showed up in my favorites list. I logged out and closed my browser. I logged back in and checked the "all courses" listing but there are still no squares by them.

Then I had an idea. I had my dashboard set to list view instead of tile view. Once I went in an switched to the tile view, I returned to All courses and the little squares were there. After I switched back to list view, the little squares are still there when I check All courses.

Thank you for your help and that of the Canvas community

View solution in original post

12 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@alfredo_alcanta ​, your image didn't come through, but are these the boxes you are referring to?

CourseCards.jpg

If so, then they are tabs that represent different type of course activity. They only show up if the Instructor has that specific activity in use in their course. For more information see the following guide - How do I use the Dashboard?

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@alfredo_alcanta ​ is asking about the colored boxes that appear next to some course names in the All Courses list. When someone clicks on Courses and then All Courses from the global navigation, the list of all courses displays colored squares next to some courses, but not all.

all-courses-colored-boxes.png

all-courses-colored-boxes-2.png

I thought that perhaps these squares corresponded to the color selections in the Calendar--but the courses displayed in the All Courses list don't have colors enabled for them in the Calendar view. Perhaps these were selections that were made at some point in the past (some of the courses I'm displaying here are four or five years old), and the colors persist in the All Courses view.

I'd love to hear a definitive answer on this!

Ah, good catch!! I've never even really noticed/paid attention to those so it completely skipped my mind that it could be what he was talking about! Thanks!!

I have a theory about those coloured squares but I haven't tested it in any detail. I think that the courses without a coloured square on the All Courses screen have never been marked as favourites (by clicking the star icon next to them) so have never been shown on your dashboard. It's only by appearing on the dashboard that a course gets its colour.

Try it for one of your courses and see if I'm correct. On All Courses, click the star next to the course then go to the dashboard and the course will be shown there. That's when a colour is allocated to it. Now go back to All Courses and the course will show the coloured square. Once you've added it to the dashboard once, even if you uncheck the star to remove it from the dashboard, the coloured square should remain on the All Courses screen.

Great theory,  @Steve_Watts ​, but unfortunately, I am personally not in a position to test it. I've checked in several different accounts, and for me, all of the courses that are available for me to "star" (in other words, the ones that don't appear in Past Enrollments) already have colors. In addition, check out my first screenshot above; all of the courses listed there predate the course cards by at least three years. So perhaps at some point I enabled those courses to appear in the Courses List dropdown that we had in the old UI (remember that?), but I don't think so; there are just too many.

Maybe someone else can verify this theory or come up with another one?

kblack
Community Champion

I believe  @Steve_Watts ​' theory is correct, but I hate to say it with 100% certainty, because I could only test this on manually-created courses.  (Our setup is such that past enrollments cannot be added to the Dashboard.)  I tried this out on our Test installation, and "masqueraded" as a faculty member who has been here for some time.  There were several courses listed under ALL COURSES that did not have a colored square next to the name.  (It was multiple sections of placement test that we run through Canvas during the summer.)  Here's what I did:

-Clicked the "star" icon to move it to the Dashboard after going, of course, to All Courses.

-Verified it appeared on the Dashboard.

-Did NOT change the color at all on my own.

-Went back to All Courses and unclicked the star icon, removing it from the Dashboard.

-Went back to the Dashboard to verify it was gone.

-Went to All Courses and, indeed, the course now had a colored square next to it, matching the color that it had on the Dashboard originally when it was there.

I repeated this highly scientific, non-peer-reviewed experiment twice, just to make sure of the results.

Now, the NEXT question is:  does when you made the transition to the new UI make a difference?  I do not think it does, because there were MANY courses that had the colored squares on them well before we adopted the new UI, which was very late.  (July 3, 2016 to be exact.)  My hunch is that Canvas assigns colors to any courses that appeared on the older COURSES drop-down menu for the faculty member or that the faculty member moved there on her/his own, but I'll leave that discussion to someone else.

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is also a good thing to note.  The little Announcements icon will not show up on the course card unless the professor posts an announcement.  There are some courses where I hide the Discussions page, so that doesn't show up.  I always hide the Files from students.

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Did you have a sufficient sample size?  Were you monitoring the statistical power of your analyses?

kblack
Community Champion

You mean n=2 is not a sufficient sample size!?  What are you, a psychologist or something?  Oh, wait....