cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
themidiman
Community Champion

Course Import Wait Times

Jump to solution

I've been telling folks in our institution that when it takes an abnormally long time for a course import job to get processed in the queue is that it's because there are a lot of other jobs system wide going on. We have a lot of jobs stuck in our queue that eventually get processed but went much faster at the beginning of this week compared to this point in the week, and it happens every year. What I'd like to know is how far reaching this job status queue reaches in the AWS infrastructure. Is it just our Canvas instance that is plagued by this or do the other instances that share our node(s) in AWS also come into play?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Imagine that your instance of Canvas is a hungry shopper at Target.  When you get to the front of the store you get into the queue that has the fewest shoppers and wait your turn.  You can pick any line and you generally just go for the shortest line (unless someone has royally violated the 15 items or less policy).  Target has more than 30 cash registers but usually only 3-4 of them are staffed.  On Black Friday, all of the lines are open but you still have to wait a long time.  The third week in August is Black Friday.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, JEFHQ12951...

I am not certain on an answer for you, but I am going to share your question with the Canvas Developers‌ and Canvas Admins‌ groups here in the Canvas Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  I'm not sure if you are already a member of these groups, but if not, you can click on each of the links I have provided and then click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of the page.  Near this button is also an "Actions" link where you can then select "Join group".  I hope this will be of help to you, Jeffrey.  Good luck!

tdelillo
Community Champion

We always see a lag during peak course-copying times. There's usually a couple of days right before a term starts, where people freak out a little because imports are super slow. We are a 5-college system using a single Canvas environment, so there's hundreds of instructors and thousands of courses. It may be less of an issue in smaller institutions?

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Imagine that your instance of Canvas is a hungry shopper at Target.  When you get to the front of the store you get into the queue that has the fewest shoppers and wait your turn.  You can pick any line and you generally just go for the shortest line (unless someone has royally violated the 15 items or less policy).  Target has more than 30 cash registers but usually only 3-4 of them are staffed.  On Black Friday, all of the lines are open but you still have to wait a long time.  The third week in August is Black Friday.

View solution in original post

rake_9
Community Champion

This.

I love August.

I appreciate the sentiment and feedback on this question. I understand that lots of this activity is going on...my supervisor asked the same question and was under the impression that the Amazon EC2 infrastructure should be able to dedicate enough cloud computing power to meet the demand for course copy so it behaves as it normally would at other high-peak use times. The other part of my question is if it's just our instance of Canvas cloud that is being impacted by just our users or is it other users on other instances that might be sharing cloud computing resources. So I suppose this needs to be answered by the engineers and/or developer group

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

We are noticing a lag, but not horrible, delays.  Might be a minute or two wait, which, in the thick of things feels like an hour sometimes, but truly is only 2 mins. Smiley Wink

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

And do not, I repeat DO NOT wear a red shirt and khaki pants to Target on Black Friday.  Ever.  #lessonlearned