Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gorsi

Course (and copies of it!) fails to upload to Commons repeatedly... why?

Jump to solution

Are there common reasons for Commons to reject materials? Reasons for failures when you try to add stuff to Commons? Are there certain things that BLOCK inclusion of materials/courses in Commons?

One of our instructors has been trying to share her course to Commons- but the course fails to share successfully to Commons. We tried making a copy of it- that failed to upload too.I tried to just upload it Commons for as I'm an administrator- that did not work either.

Here's the error message we're seeing: http://screencast.com/t/zYgp2tZX5IK

"Resource Unavailable"
"There was an error sharing your resouce, please try again."

Why would this happen?

So, I have combed through this course and it's not even that full of stuff or that complex. No e-textbook, nothing like that. It's all Canvas-native stuff.

Any light you can shed on this topic would be greatly appreciated. I haven't seen any list anywhere of "things that CANNOT be added to Commons" or "things that prevent successful inclusion in Commons"...

This course fails to share successfully to Commons:
https://coloradomtn.instructure.com/courses/1013139

Here's the error message I'm seeing: http://screencast.com/t/zYgp2tZX5IK
This course fails to share successfully to Commons:
https://coloradomtn.instructure.com/courses/1013139
Here's the error message I'm seeing: http://screencast.com/t/zYgp2tZX5IK

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gorsi

Hey- just a quick update. I did indeed open a ticket with Instructure.

After more than a week they finally determined that the root cause of the problem was... drumroll please...

a Discussion that lacked a title!

Yes, ONE unpublished draft of a Discussion which had been overlooked and hadn't been finalized by the instructor derailed the ENTIRE upload to Commons.

Seems like a little detail - but that missing Discussion title broke everything.

We had to delete the Discussion, and then the course would finally upload.

It took everyone a while to figure out that this was the source of the issue.

I would hope that Instructure updates its documentation for Commons to warn people: if you have unfinished items in the course they could prevent you from adding stuff to Commons.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @gorsi ​...

I'm not sure of an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that I'll share your question with someone from Instructure in hopes that you'll get a response.  I hope this is okay with you.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gorsi ​, if you can successfully share other courses to Commons then it's probably "something" to do with the course. If not, then you've got bigger problems. Regardless, I've never experienced this problem and my best suggestion is to contact Canvas Support and see if they can provide some assistance - How do I get help with Canvas?

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@gorsi ​, since you've posted this question in several places, I'll repeat the response posted to the duplicate by the  @CanvasDocTeam  :

Gabrielle,

We agree that contacting Canvas Support is the best way to find out what might be causing your error message for your Commons upload. Please keep us informed if you are able to find the help you need and if they share any information that could be useful in our guides. Have a great day!

Cody

...and I've marked  @kona ​'s response above with the "Correct Answer" designation. If you have a moment, please update this thread with the response you receive from support.

gorsi

Hey- just a quick update. I did indeed open a ticket with Instructure.

After more than a week they finally determined that the root cause of the problem was... drumroll please...

a Discussion that lacked a title!

Yes, ONE unpublished draft of a Discussion which had been overlooked and hadn't been finalized by the instructor derailed the ENTIRE upload to Commons.

Seems like a little detail - but that missing Discussion title broke everything.

We had to delete the Discussion, and then the course would finally upload.

It took everyone a while to figure out that this was the source of the issue.

I would hope that Instructure updates its documentation for Commons to warn people: if you have unfinished items in the course they could prevent you from adding stuff to Commons.

That's helpful information,  @gorsi . Would you be willing to post that in the comments section of the relevant Commons documentation, along with your ticket number for reference?

Sorry but I  wrote a post already in the Guides in Commons asking what would BREAK an upload to Commons. Been more than 2 weeks, no response. Par for the course in my experience...  In the past I used to often write comments in the Guides. Never got a single response / acknowledgement so I have given up on doing that. I told my CSM I had written Guides comments and she was puzzled as to why no one ever got back to me.

So, NOPE> I am not going to bother...

PS: Already swamped here as we're understaffed. And so... Finding the relevant documentation on Commons & writing a comment = extra work, no pay! Sorry! Smiley Happy

Sure.
I wish that they would actually list somewhere in the Guides common reasons that an upload to Commons would fail.

Can't find that anywhere.

And when I'm training faculty on Commons, guess what a popular question from faculty is?
Sigh...

@gorsi , I navigated to several of the Commons Guides but couldn't find your post. If you would provide the link to the specific guide where you posted your unanswered comment I would be happy to find someone to respond.