cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myerdon01
Community Champion

Course end date/concluded course?

Jump to solution

I have several instructors that allowed incompletes for students for spring term and now that students are attempting to finish the work, they are getting a message that the course is concluded. Our faculty do not have the option to conclude their own courses, and by default students ARE allowed to access the course after the end date. Also by default our courses are set up as shown below with the end date blank and the "Users can only participate..." box checked:

277891_pastedImage_1.png

1. We do have term dates set at the account level.
  2. We do restrict students from accessing the course before the start date, but NOT after the end date.

This has happened to several students in different classes and all of those classes were set to the default as shown above and had no end date on the course. Students would get this error even with no end date on course or due date on the quiz:

277893_pastedImage_2.png

I know the issue of the end date vs. term date, etc. comes up often, but in the past we were able to have our default be as shown above, with the end date blank and the box checked and this would leave the course open unless an instructor added their own end date, or unchecked the box so the course would close with the term dates. 

Shouldn't the blank end date and the box checked leave the course open?

What are we missing? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
myerdon01
Community Champion

From Canvas Support:

I have taken a look and can see that your course has no end date, so when you have option "Users can only participate in the course between these dates," enabled with missing dates, it will revert to the term date, which is intended.

The course will use the current start date and will use the term end date, so if you add a end date to the course it will correct the issue.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@myerdon01 , just for giggles, have you tried adding an end date to see if that fixes the issue? We normally do something similar to what you say you do, but we always include an end date - just an extended one. 

Kona

jlenrow
Community Participant

I don't know if this is easier or not, but we add a section to the class and put the student with the incomplete into that section and add start and end dates for just that section and "check the users can only participate" box.  We then assign the quiz to that one person and change the dates on the quiz for that person.  That doesn't change any of the other students' access and allows the one student to take the quiz.

Now that I write that it seems like a lot of steps but it is pretty easy to do and takes just a minute or so.

Jon

myerdon01
Community Champion

That is another option, we have not tried that yet. Just changing the end date in the course allows the students in right now.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

That's good to know! I'm glad that's still working!

myerdon01
Community Champion

From Canvas Support:

I have taken a look and can see that your course has no end date, so when you have option "Users can only participate in the course between these dates," enabled with missing dates, it will revert to the term date, which is intended.

The course will use the current start date and will use the term end date, so if you add a end date to the course it will correct the issue.

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is good information to know! Thank you for sharing this!

jared_flaherty
Community Contributor

this is what we do as well.    create a new section with extended dates for a particular student with the incomplete, then add them to that section.    i believe the instructor needs to be added to that new section as well... at least that is what I remember from testing.    

February 2020 update: this is no longer true. If you have the option "" checked with no end date, it will not revert to the term date but rather remain open indefinitely.