cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dalia_elsouhag
Community Member

Create test average for each student

I would like to calculate the test average for each student individually (not a class average). How can I create an average column in their gradebooks?

4 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dalia_elsouhag , and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

This can be done using Assignment Groups, and by placing all of your tests in the same group. Assignment groups create a sub-total column in the gradebook, and record/calculate, display a percentage score like shown in the image below. Percentage calculation would only be accurate if the Assignment Group were not weighted.

298083_pastedImage_2.png

Learn how at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10149-415241291 

I hope this is useful,

Kelley

dalia_elsouhag
Community Member

Thank you Kelley, I followed the instructions you provided and was able to calculate an average, but then the grades for the individual tests are no longer available to students (or to me). Is there a way to keep the tests grades there and visible to students while still creating the average column. I do not want students to view the average as of yet. Thanks again. 

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dalia_elsouhag 

Having an assignment group does not remove the individual graded content columns associated with content in the group, it simply adds the group total column. In my own courses I keep my tests in one assignment group, and in the two images below you will note a series of grade columns for individual tests, and then the Group total column in the second image...........

298089_pastedImage_2.png

298090_pastedImage_3.png

There is no way to hide that group column, though.

Kelley

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dalia_elsouhag ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment. Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie