cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfreedman3
Community Participant

Creating Outcomes

Jump to solution

Creating Outcomes. When I read up on creating outcomes, the instructions are to select outcomes form the navigation menu. An outcome creation table is supposed to appear. In my course, when I select outcomes from navigation, nothing happens. Is there some predecessor feature, task, or step I am missing?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @mfreedman3 ‌ - You should be seeing a button with +Outcome on it, as shown on the screen capture on this page:  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10062  Even then, however, you are not going to see the creation table right away, but rather text placeholders for typing in a title and a description.  The key is to scroll down on that page a wee bit, and you will eventually see the table.  In other words, it's not exactly the first thing that you will see on the screen.

Does that help at all?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @mfreedman3 ‌ - You should be seeing a button with +Outcome on it, as shown on the screen capture on this page:  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10062  Even then, however, you are not going to see the creation table right away, but rather text placeholders for typing in a title and a description.  The key is to scroll down on that page a wee bit, and you will eventually see the table.  In other words, it's not exactly the first thing that you will see on the screen.

Does that help at all?

0 Kudos
mfreedman3
Community Participant

Thanks Ken.  When I went back and checked, it worked as you described.  Honestly, the page was blank when I tried (a few times) before.  Couldn't a been pilot error, musta been the cobwebs...!

Cheers, Michael

kblack
Community Champion

Ha! Oh, I've been there. Happy to help. (Though another thing:  avoid using Internet Explorer, just in case you were.  That tends to be the browser that can cause the most issues, even though it is officially supported.)

mfreedman3
Community Participant

Right, I use chrome, and only use IE when I have to...   Another question if you don't mind.  I am a windows user, and am currently drafting content in word.  I was wondering about directly writing in Canvas. It seems the editing functionality is better in word, but cutting, pasting and reformatting (even fonts translate poorly) once in Canvas would cause additional burdens.  Any advise here?

kblack
Community Champion

Yes, generally the less formatting the better; do all of your fancier formatting within Canvas if at all humanly possible.  In fact, this just fairly recently came up in the Community.  Take a look at the discussion here, and the many interesting work-arounds to this issue:  Microsoft Word documents - How to cut & paste in Canvas? And don't get the Community started on tables! Smiley Happy   A recent Feature Idea that goes over some of the "history" on that topic is here:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4513-tables-in-canvas" modifiedtitle="true" title="Tables in C....

Hope this helps a bit!

mfreedman3
Community Participant

Ooh tables! I love tables!  Good thread, thanks...

So, this is where I'm headed. My programs are going to be highly interactive and include mentor guidelines and instructions. I am writing in the structure of a canvas class: using modules and sequencing elements within each module (pages, assignments, discussions, etc.).  Because this is sequential, I'm assuming the the auto open idea wouldn't help me much as I'll have discussions mingled in with pages, assignments, etc.  I see this a lot like writing a script, and am borrowing from that standard as well.  So, I'll write in courier 12pt, creating content linearly for each module until I am happy with the draft. Then I'll cut and paste into canvas, set up the formatting and add graphics/media from with Canvas.

Onward...