cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amy_bishard
Community Member

Creating a Quiz

Jump to solution

I want to create a quiz that references a table of information for multiple questions. For example Table 1.1 may be used to answer questions 1 - 5; while Table 1.2 is used for questions 6 - 10. How do I do this in Canvas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @amy_bishard ​...

When you create your quiz questions, instead of selecting a question type such as Multiple Choice Question or True/False question, you'll want to choose the bottom option of "Text (no question)".  This will allow you to create an area of text to place your table and any other information you want prior to asking the set of questions.  Then it's just a matter of telling your students to refer back to that part of the quiz.  Hope this helps!!!

TextNoQuestion.jpg

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @amy_bishard ​...

When you create your quiz questions, instead of selecting a question type such as Multiple Choice Question or True/False question, you'll want to choose the bottom option of "Text (no question)".  This will allow you to create an area of text to place your table and any other information you want prior to asking the set of questions.  Then it's just a matter of telling your students to refer back to that part of the quiz.  Hope this helps!!!

TextNoQuestion.jpg

View solution in original post

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@amy_bishard ​, I'd like to add two words of advice to  @chofer ​'s excellent tutorial:

• When you set up your quiz using the "Text (no question)" question types, make sure that you do not put your questions into question groups with the intention of randomizing them. If you do, your text references will not appear in the proper order.
  • Don't enable the "Show one question at a time" option in your quiz settings--because if you do, the "Text (no question)" piece will appear separately from the questions that reference it.

If you must randomize questions or deliver them one question at a time, my suggestion would be to place the table in every question that references it. I've often seen that done, not only in Canvas but elsewhere. It's a nice way to ensure that the question stands on its own so you can use it anywhere (for example, if you later want to include just one of the five questions in a final exam).