Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djg25

Creating a group not related to a course?

Jump to solution

Is it possible to create a group (i.e., for research or for faculty collaboration)?  If so, is it possible to have the user (PSU affiliated) be able to self-enroll?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @djg25 ‌...

Yup...you should be able to do this!  However, I am going to answer your question in two parts:

1. You can create a group (not associated with any particular course) in Canvas.  I've written a blog about it...which you can find here: Campus Clubs and Groups.  Keep in mind, though, that using this method will not allow users to self-enroll in the group...as that option does not exist using this method.  Admins at your school have to manually enroll people in each group...and this can become time-consuming on the admin's end...especially if you have large groups.
  2. We are making a transition at our Technical College from using the Groups feature (above) to creating course shells for our campus clubs and groups.  The reason for this is that the club/group will get all the tools available in a regular course shell as compared to the method linked in #1 above.  And, you can set up the course for self-enrollment, too...which is what we are also doing.  That way, the leader/facilitator of the group can distribute a unique URL to everyone who wishes to join the group, and then they can self-enroll.  Once the course shell is created, here's how to set this up: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10050-415274473 

If you have any questions about this, please let us know...thanks!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @djg25 ‌...

Yup...you should be able to do this!  However, I am going to answer your question in two parts:

1. You can create a group (not associated with any particular course) in Canvas.  I've written a blog about it...which you can find here: Campus Clubs and Groups.  Keep in mind, though, that using this method will not allow users to self-enroll in the group...as that option does not exist using this method.  Admins at your school have to manually enroll people in each group...and this can become time-consuming on the admin's end...especially if you have large groups.
  2. We are making a transition at our Technical College from using the Groups feature (above) to creating course shells for our campus clubs and groups.  The reason for this is that the club/group will get all the tools available in a regular course shell as compared to the method linked in #1 above.  And, you can set up the course for self-enrollment, too...which is what we are also doing.  That way, the leader/facilitator of the group can distribute a unique URL to everyone who wishes to join the group, and then they can self-enroll.  Once the course shell is created, here's how to set this up: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10050-415274473 

If you have any questions about this, please let us know...thanks!