cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sslavevagriffin
Community Member

Credit for Practice Exercises and Quizzes

I am teaching an online course on medical terminology. I present the concept of deconstructing terms into word parts to deduce unfamiliar terms and understand the bases of familiar terms. Most of the coursework is rote, however, but to encourage the students to practice, practice, practice, I give credit towards their final grade for completing practice exercises and quizzes prior to taking a chapter exam. Their actual scores on the assignments and quizzes do not matter except to give them feedback on their mastery of the terms. Instead, I give them one point for completing a practice exercise or a quiz (the two points are weighted differently in the final grade calculation, though).

To complicate the matter further, their practice exercises are handled through a Pearson MyLab companion course to their textbook. When a student completes an exercise, the score is recorded in the MyLab gradebook as a percentage (represented as a decimal fraction), which then migrates to the course gradebook in Canvas through an automatic syncing of the gradebooks.

Essentially, I ultimately grade each practice exercise and quiz on a Complete/Incomplete-like binary scale (except the choices are 0 points or 1point).

I believe I can make this work by downloading the scores into a spreadsheet, transforming the grading scales, and then uploading the scores back to the gradebook. I would be happier if this could be done automatically in the Canvas gradebook. Say, for example, the scores for the practice assignments and quizzes are recorded into columns, but are not counted towards the final grade. Then, magically, a "Total" column for each type of practice would keep a running count of non-zero practice-column entries.

Fundamentally, I am asking if there is anyway to add to the gradebook columns whose entries are functions of other columns?

I would greatly appreciate any guidance on this issue.

Svetla Slaveva-Griffin

3 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sslavevagriffin ‌

I have been teaching Med Term online since 1999, and also make extensive use of quizzes as practice labs for my students! In a memorization course like this, practice does make perfect (at least for those who take advantage of those opportunities). I also used Pearson's MyLab one year, then dropped it because only a limited number of my students were using it and it cost them more.

Anyways, there is not really a way to do what you are asking in the existing gradebook, but it looks like the ability for instructors to add their own extra columns will be a part of the new gradebook. Not sure of everything that entails, not what you can do in regards to the formatting of those columns , but I think you could still benefit from checking things out at https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas/priority-gradebook-enhancements?sr=search&searchId=9...

Good luck, and it was nice encountering you in this small world!

Kelley

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sslavevagriffin ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

I apologize for leaving this discussion hanging without some sort of resolution. Given Kelley's comment above, and after extensive discussions with Pearson support staff and my university's Canvas support staff, I accepted that I would need to create my own work-around and I subsequently neglected to return to this page.

For what it is worth, I did opt to transform the scores manually by downloading the raw scores, changing the scores to the scales I wanted, and then uploading the scores to the Canvas gradebook.