cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomsks
Community Participant

Cross Listing and Grade Passback (Infinite Campus)

Jump to solution

TLDR:

I would like to cross-list two separate periods together, then cross-list two separate semesters into a single course while maintaining passback of grades and students. Is this possible?

To Clarify:

Below is a picture of my 'people' section in one of my courses. I teach Leadership, which is also Student Council. As such I have multiple different grade levels and responsibility levels, this year I implemented a range of different assignments based on grade and responsibility.

The sections with Yellow Highlights are generated by Infinite Campus and were cross-listed together into a course.

The sections with Blue Underlines were created by me and reflect grade (Junior, Senior, etc...) and Position (EBoard).

313540_Canvas Question.PNG

I have stopped assigning work to 'everyone' or the yellow highlights. Instead I assign work to their grade or position group. So far it works perfectly. Grades appear in Infinite Campus like clockwork. Students who are not assigned a topic have nothing appear on Canvas, then on Infinite Campus the grade appears as a 'blank'.

Seriously, it works great and I can manage and control everything to a degree that would be impossible without passback or differentiated sections. I love it.

However, if you look at the yellow highlights I have only cross-listed two separate periods (P05 and P06) inside of a single semester (SPR19).

My question is: Can I cross-list two separate semesters (FA19 and SPR20) for two different periods (P05 and P06) into a single course on Canvas and still maintain Infinite Campus passback?

Additional Information: Next year my district is implementing quarters into Canvas. I have used them before in a private Canvas, but never in a Canvas course with Passback enabled. I can't see how this would make a difference to the above, but I wanted to include it.

I'm assuming that it will work if I cross-list everything together as it looks like Infinite Campus is dictated by dates and student SIS IDs, so if the due dates fall in the right time frame for a term it will pass back to the appropriate student and term. However, I also know that de-cross-listing courses is more complicated than cross-listing them, so I'd like to know for sure before I do it next year.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SHEBENE
Community Champion

The report puts a row for the student per assignment that has a grade. It lists the section SIS ID for the student, since they're in a section that has an SIS ID it works (wasn't positive it would, but I assumed they'd only be in one section). That's the only tie to Infinite Campus sections. It's great that it's working and allowing you the benefit of granular groups (via a manual section) and cross-listing at the same time.

Since CCSD has a custom integration, as far as gradebook passback goes, it won't matter if it works elsewhere. Our report is generated from current term courses only. When you cross-list your Spring courses into a Fall course it will stop working after we switch to the Spring term. It won't matter what SIS IDs are in there because the report won't look at those courses. We go back to zero at the end of each term as the report gets to be much too big by the end.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MattHanes
Community Champion

I'm betting it would work since the grade passback is most likely tied to sections IDs instead of course or term IDs. I bet carroll-ccsd might know the answer though!

SHEBENE
Community Champion

Passback for the Clark County School District is tied to the section SIS IDs as  @MattHanes ‌ mentioned, which is why it's currently working for you. If you had removed the students from their overarching section that the system put them in, (the yellow highlighted section), it wouldn't work now.

When looking at separate terms this model won't work. The passback only looks at the current term. Consequently, your cross-listed course won't be in the passback gradebook report. Only put Fall in Fall and so on.

Additionally, we won't be implementing quarters next year, as that can only be defined at the domain (districtwide) level and the district doesn't agree on timing or weights to make that work. If Canvas makes it possible to turn on grading periods at the sub account level (such as a single school) then we would look at that on a school-by-school basis. I created a feature request for just that thing: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14193-grading-periods-at-sub-account-level 

Thanks for reminding me to do that. Smiley Happy

thomsks
Community Participant

Yes, but when I cross-list them I don't remove students from their Campus generated sections. I add new sections to the students, I don't take anything away. Thus passback still works between Canvas and Campus.

When we talked about adding additional sections in the past you stated that you didn't think it would work with passback, but it very much does. Assignments are currently only being assigned to 'Grade Level' sections, but the assignments are still populating across to Campus in the correct turn for the correct students as long as they have the Campus generated term section, 'SPR19', still in place.

Now I'm wondering if I can take it a step further and have students in multiple, Campus Generated, Terms that have been cross-listed to a single course so that I don't need to redo all my assignment sections every Semester.

The reason I bring this to the community is because I don't think we've actually tested cross listing separate Terms together into a single course. If we have, please correct me, but if we haven't I want to see what other say. And if no one has tried it yet, I'm glad to test it out and see how it goes.

thomsks
Community Participant

The part I'm confused about regarding your reply is 

When looking at separate terms this model won't work. The passback only looks at the current term. Consequently, your cross-listed course won't be in the passback gradebook report. Only put Fall in Fall and so on.

I understand what you are saying, but if I don't remove the Campus created term, it should still identify grades that fall into that category and pass it back. If the system didn't do this my current method of assigning work to 'Grade Level Sections' and not to the automatically generated sections would break and I wouldn't get any passback.

By all appearances Campus identifies the correct term to place the assignment into by the date it's due and as long as the student is still in the automatically generated term the passback will work.

SHEBENE
Community Champion

The report puts a row for the student per assignment that has a grade. It lists the section SIS ID for the student, since they're in a section that has an SIS ID it works (wasn't positive it would, but I assumed they'd only be in one section). That's the only tie to Infinite Campus sections. It's great that it's working and allowing you the benefit of granular groups (via a manual section) and cross-listing at the same time.

Since CCSD has a custom integration, as far as gradebook passback goes, it won't matter if it works elsewhere. Our report is generated from current term courses only. When you cross-list your Spring courses into a Fall course it will stop working after we switch to the Spring term. It won't matter what SIS IDs are in there because the report won't look at those courses. We go back to zero at the end of each term as the report gets to be much too big by the end.

View solution in original post

thomsks
Community Participant

Okay, that is a fair answer. Thank you for taking the time to clarify.