cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamskathryn
Community Participant

Cross listing Blue Printing order important?

Jump to solution

I need to apply blueprints to courses and cross list courses for teachers by SIS import.
Does it matter the order of these?
If I cross list courses first and then apply blueprints to all sections vs. applying blueprints first then cross listing, will the end result be different?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Thanks,  @chofer ‌, for the heads-up!   @adamskathryn , full disclosure....I have not experimented with this specific process, but my general gut feeling is to always, always, always do your cross-listing first before doing virtually anything else in a course, and that would include associating it with a blueprint.  There are several reasons for this, not the least of which any future enrollments that you add to the course site will then get "poured" into the course that has been cross-listed.  Remember, when cross-listing one section for all practical purposes gets "merged" into the other section. If nothing else, you will have fewer courses to worry about associating.  So if you're happy with a theoretical answer rather than one based on actual practice, cross-listing first should definitely be the way to go.

The only caveat to the above is how your institution's process is sequenced.  The reason why is that, according to this page from the administrator's manual, "Note: Before you can cross-list a section, the course must contain at least one enrollment."  That is not a problem at my own institution, since even courses that do not yet have an instructor have at least one instructor enrollment, created by our Registrar with the name of "Not Assigned."  That's something to be aware of.  But we enroll an instructor first and then (later) students.  By the time the students are enrolled, the courses are already cross-listed that need to be.

It's also important to note the material in blue at the top of that page from the administrator's manual.  While course material can safely be cross-listed in at almost any time, submissions and grades recorded so far will not.  While it's unlikely you are going to associate any courses after a point that there has already been grading, that just adds to the general thought that the sooner the cross-listing is done, the better.

Hopefully you're okay with this theoretical rather than practical answer to your question, since (as I said) I haven't personally tried this.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @adamskathryn ...

I'm not totally sure on an answer for you, but I do know that  @kblack ‌ has done extensive testing with Blueprint courses, so he might have an answer for you.  (By the way, check out his excellent blog posting: Tips for Designing and Maintaining Blueprint Courses.)  Let's see what he has to say.  Good luck!

kblack
Community Champion

Thanks,  @chofer ‌, for the heads-up!   @adamskathryn , full disclosure....I have not experimented with this specific process, but my general gut feeling is to always, always, always do your cross-listing first before doing virtually anything else in a course, and that would include associating it with a blueprint.  There are several reasons for this, not the least of which any future enrollments that you add to the course site will then get "poured" into the course that has been cross-listed.  Remember, when cross-listing one section for all practical purposes gets "merged" into the other section. If nothing else, you will have fewer courses to worry about associating.  So if you're happy with a theoretical answer rather than one based on actual practice, cross-listing first should definitely be the way to go.

The only caveat to the above is how your institution's process is sequenced.  The reason why is that, according to this page from the administrator's manual, "Note: Before you can cross-list a section, the course must contain at least one enrollment."  That is not a problem at my own institution, since even courses that do not yet have an instructor have at least one instructor enrollment, created by our Registrar with the name of "Not Assigned."  That's something to be aware of.  But we enroll an instructor first and then (later) students.  By the time the students are enrolled, the courses are already cross-listed that need to be.

It's also important to note the material in blue at the top of that page from the administrator's manual.  While course material can safely be cross-listed in at almost any time, submissions and grades recorded so far will not.  While it's unlikely you are going to associate any courses after a point that there has already been grading, that just adds to the general thought that the sooner the cross-listing is done, the better.

Hopefully you're okay with this theoretical rather than practical answer to your question, since (as I said) I haven't personally tried this.

View solution in original post