cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marthazumack
Community Contributor

Cross listing from active course to inactive, and assignments

Jump to solution

I'm getting asked by our staff about the feasibility of moving students between courses, specifically from one 'version' of a course to another. They'd want to keep their grades and most importantly, their assignments. A CSV upload would not move their assignments, hence I'm wondering about cross-listing.

I have two questions:

1. Firstly, the guide (How do I cross-list a section in a course? -- see quote below) says that cross-listing should not be done in an active course. Does this mean the course the students start off in as well? I ask because it seems that people have been cross-listing from active courses, when I peruse the community...

Note: Only cross-list inactive courses. Do not cross-list active courses. If you cross-list active courses, assignment submissions and grades will be removed and may not be recoverable.

2. Secondly, are assignment submissions moved to the new course?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@marthazumack ​,

1.  When you cross list a course, is takes the section enrollments from the course and moves them to another course, so the students actually lose access to all of the previous content, submissions and grades.  Active courses means courses that students have been interacting with.  Because they lose access to all of the above mentioned items, it is recommended to only cross list courses that student have not done anything in.

2.  No, they are not moved.

Robbie

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@marthazumack ​,

1.  When you cross list a course, is takes the section enrollments from the course and moves them to another course, so the students actually lose access to all of the previous content, submissions and grades.  Active courses means courses that students have been interacting with.  Because they lose access to all of the above mentioned items, it is recommended to only cross list courses that student have not done anything in.

2.  No, they are not moved.

Robbie

View solution in original post

Thank you, that clears things up. We wouldn't want students to keep access to content in the course they are moved from, so that is ok, but losing the submissions and grades make this a bad solution, clearly!

@marthazumack 

Glad I could help!

Robbie