cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ben_whisenant
Community Member

Cross-listing lost scores

I have two sections of one class and decided to cross list them after having started them independently. Upon cross-listing, the scores from the child course are no longer appearing in grades. That is, it appears as if they didn't complete the assignments/quizzes. Is there a way for me to retrieve this information? Going forward will it report all scores?

Tags (1)
6 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@ben_whisenant , here's what the Canvas Guide on cross-listing (How do I cross-list a section in a course?) states:

Cross-listing should be done while courses are unpublished. Coursework is retained with the course, not with the section enrollments, so if a published course is cross-listed, all cross-listed enrollments will lose any associated assignment submissions and grades.

,,,and it sounds like that's exactly what happened in your case. I recommend that you submit a help ticket to Canvas Support to see if they can retrieve the lost scores. Since cross-listing active courses is not recommended, I can't say for sure whether all scores will be reported for all students in the newly cross-listed entity; it should, but those waters are officially uncharted. Perhaps Support will be able to determine that as well.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

If this is something that's been done recently the original scores and grades might still be in your beta or test environment. I'd definitely check there ASAP.

How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

How do I access the Canvas test environment?

tdelillo
Community Champion

If you de-cross-list those sections, all the scores will come back. Of course, they'll be back in the original shell. So if you want to keep them cross-listed, you'll have to note the scores, re-cross-list, and manually add the child scores into the parent shell.

Any work done after the cross-listing will show up in the gradebook.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@ben_whisenant ​, we haven't heard from you since your original post. Did one of the remedies offered, or a combination thereof, help you solve the problem of the lost scores?

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ben_whisenant ​,

Where you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

neztech
Community Member

What I found out after encountering the same thing was to re-assign your assignments and quizzes back to the Section you Cross-listed.  Your scores should reappear with the original scores.  Hope that helps for some one who comes across this same encounter.