cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
regan
Community Member

Custom fonts in quizzes?

Jump to solution

Is it possible to change the display font on questions in quizzes? I'm trying to convert my Classical Greek courses to Canvas, but the default font is dreadful at displaying diacriticals, like accents and breathing marks.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ns3320
Community Contributor

@regan ,

I just tested switching the font family to GalatiaSIL.
If you want to try it out, input this into the HTML Editor in your quiz: <p style="font-family: GalatiaSIL;">ἆ ἅ ἄ ἂ</p>

It actually seemed to make it harder to read. The most readable result I achieved was just making the font a larger size:

ἆ ἅ ἄ ἂ

I know it's not the most elegant solution, but I think it's the best way to display those small accents and breathing marks.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
jbuchholz
Community Contributor

Regan

It is my understanding that the font in Canvas is the font in Canvas. It was chosen for reasons of accessibility and readability.  I wonder if a 3rd party tool would possibly help or utilizing screenshots or something like that. There is also this resource I found online that may help you add the elements you are looking for via HTML.  I hope that this helps.

Jesse

elisat
Community Member

@regan ,

Are you using Quizzes or Quizzes.Next? The font can be changed using the html editor, as Jesse mentioned above, in Quizzes. I have not found that option in Quizzes.Next.

Elisa

regan
Community Member

Thanks for your response. I am using Quizzes. My problem is not that I am unable to enter the Greek characters. That's the easy part: α, β, γ, δ, ξ, π, ψ, etc. My problem is that the default sans serif font doesn't display more complicated characters with diacriticals like accents and breathing marks in a readable fashion: ἆ ἅ ἄ ἂ, etc. These all have different accents and breathing marks above the alpha, and that's part of the spelling. These are practically impossible to distinguish in this font. I'm just looking for a way to say "display these characters in GalatiaSIL font instead of the default sans serif font."

regan
Community Member

Thanks for your response. I'm not having any trouble entering the Greek letters with their diacriticals. The issue is that the diacriticals are so tiny and uniform that it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between them, and that is part of the spelling. These are all different: ἆ ἅ ἄ ἂ - and the accents and breathing marks are important for reading the word correctly. It's just nearly impossible to tell them apart when displayed in this font. I'm looking for a way to specify a different font that makes them larger and more distinct.

ns3320
Community Contributor

@regan ,

I just tested switching the font family to GalatiaSIL.
If you want to try it out, input this into the HTML Editor in your quiz: <p style="font-family: GalatiaSIL;">ἆ ἅ ἄ ἂ</p>

It actually seemed to make it harder to read. The most readable result I achieved was just making the font a larger size:

ἆ ἅ ἄ ἂ

I know it's not the most elegant solution, but I think it's the best way to display those small accents and breathing marks.

regan
Community Member

Ahh... I'll try that. Thank you!
(That's not actually the font that I use; I used it as an example because it is pretty accessible. The font that I use with my students is "IFAO-Grec Unicode" and I usually increase the size, as well.)
If you don't mind me imposing on your time again, where are you entering this in the HTML editor? Do I have to change the font on every entry (for example do I have to enter that with each entry in a matching question?, or is there a way to change it globally for the entire quiz?

ns3320
Community Contributor

Sadly, you would have to change it for every question. I took a couple screenshots to show you where to go. In every question text box, there is an option to switch to HTML Editor. Then you can just copy that code right in. If you end up just making the font larger, then you can do that from the rich content editor, no HTML needed.

282769_html quiz.PNG

282779_html quiz 2.PNG

regan
Community Member

Nick, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and expertise. It has been invaluable to me. In the current system I'm using, I had to change it in every question, as well. Thanks again!