cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgoosby
Community Member

DEAD LINKS

Jump to solution

The video links in the word documents that I have uploaded to CANVAS do not work.  Previously, a couple of semesters ago, there were no issues with the links.  How can I solve this problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@mgoosby  

Are you saying that there is a link and it takes you somewhere when you click on it but that the page it takes you to is not there anymore? This is the common definition of "dead link". If that's the case, then edit the original document, update the links to the correct ones, and then upload it back into Canvas, possibly replacing the document that you already have there so that you don't have to fix any internal links to the file. However, I don't think that will fix your problem because of the second option.

Or, are you saying that the links in the document don't do anything anymore, they're not even clickable, or if they are, they don't go anywhere? If this is the case, then it sounds like it's related to the new DocViewer and a problem with the hyperlinks not working. This is a Known Issue with DocViewer.

Hyperlinks in documents are not retained.

There is also a note in that document that says:

Known behaviors are being triaged by the Canvas engineering team—feature ideas do not need to be submitted regarding their functionality.

One work-around appears to be to download the document and then click on the hyperlinks, but that's all that I've seen for right now. If it's an immediate need and the document is not too complicated, then you might be able to post the links separately, otherwise we're just waiting it out.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
James
Community Champion

@mgoosby  

Are you saying that there is a link and it takes you somewhere when you click on it but that the page it takes you to is not there anymore? This is the common definition of "dead link". If that's the case, then edit the original document, update the links to the correct ones, and then upload it back into Canvas, possibly replacing the document that you already have there so that you don't have to fix any internal links to the file. However, I don't think that will fix your problem because of the second option.

Or, are you saying that the links in the document don't do anything anymore, they're not even clickable, or if they are, they don't go anywhere? If this is the case, then it sounds like it's related to the new DocViewer and a problem with the hyperlinks not working. This is a Known Issue with DocViewer.

Hyperlinks in documents are not retained.

There is also a note in that document that says:

Known behaviors are being triaged by the Canvas engineering team—feature ideas do not need to be submitted regarding their functionality.

One work-around appears to be to download the document and then click on the hyperlinks, but that's all that I've seen for right now. If it's an immediate need and the document is not too complicated, then you might be able to post the links separately, otherwise we're just waiting it out.

View solution in original post

mgoosby
Community Member

Thank You!  I appreciate your prompt assistance.