cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardinm
Community Contributor

DOC to QTI without Respondus?

Hello. My school is mostly Apple, so when looking for a product to convert doc files to QTI Zip files for batch import into Canvas, we are coming up blank as Respondus is the only thing we can find, and it only works on Windows machines. Is there anyone else out there with a better solution for us Apple folk?

Tags (4)
15 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@hardinm , I apologize that your question has been sitting out here for so long without a response--but it appears you have the Community stumped! My experience has been that Respondus 4.0 is the only solution, and as you note, it's Windows-based. I've heard claims that it will run on Mac machines via a Windows emulator, but I have yet to see anyone who has actually been able to do this.

Were you able to devise a solution independently, and if you were, would you take a moment to let us know how you accomplished this? In the meantime, I want to direct your attention to Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine and the InstructureCon 2016 video of the presentation ​, as I am hopeful that the massive quiz refactor project currently underway will provide a new way to create quizzes in Canvas without requiring Respondus 4.0 as an intermediary.

cesbrandt
Community Champion

An option you could consider is ExamView. I can't speak for the newest versions (we're using v6.2.1 from 2008) or the Mac (we primarily use Windows), but it does have MacOS support and, if the document is properly formatted and resaved as a RTF (http://www.kleinisd.net/users/0088/Word%20to%20ExamView.pdf) file, you can import it to ExamView and export it to Blackboard 7.1+ (https://www.laredo.edu/cms/uploadedFiles/LCC/Instruction/Divisions/Arts_and_Humanities/Distance_Lear...) which will be uploadable to Canvas as a QTI import. It's the method we use in our older version, and it works pretty well.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Just checking in to see if you either of the responses you got for your question helped! If so could you come back and mark one of them as correct?

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@hardinm ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

jklynn
Community Participant

You can run Respondus on a mac with Parallels Desktop. It's kind of a drag, but it works. You can also convert GIFT-formatted text to a QTI zip file at GIFT2QTI - Quiz format convertor  but only with a few types of questions.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

No,  @Robbie_Grant , I wouldn't consider this question answered, but not for admirable attempts to provide an answer for which there is no answer! This is the reason I'm soliciting lots of votes for the idea https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12874-text-conversion-to-qti-for-bulk-question-import . Respondus 4, even the PC-only version sucks. It doesn't appear to have had an upgrade for 4-5 years, or maybe longer. Editing windows are not resizable, copy and paste routines are weird, tell-tale things that indicate an old, neglected application. The folks at Respondus were very non-responsive as in clueless. I didn't expect that the Mac-PC user rift was still alive anywhere, but it is at that company. I bought the application, tried being productive with it on a fast CPU Lenovo, and just had to give up.

I'm searching for some type of cloud-based application, and came across this question!

My 2¢ I guess. I wish Instructure would relieve our pain.

@ronmarx  

Robbie marked this question as 'assumed answered' because we never heard back from the original author.  It is actually very possible that they found the answer they were seeking from the comments listed, or from somewhere else.  

Please refer users to the idea https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2086-create-question-banks-from-msword rather than the other, which is archived.

Regarding your Respondus comment, there are quite a few people in the community here that use Respondus very successfully.  You might want to search around and connect with them to see if they have any tips and tricks about using it with a PC.  Also, just as a professional courtesy, I would caution you to not publicly post ill will toward a company without getting the full story.

I can understand the frustration, however. Downloading and having to use yet another application to do this is more work than even I want to go through. I have existing exams on paper that I would like to import into Canvas and all the 'solutions' I've found are time consuming, which is what I'd like to avoid.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

@Renee_Carney ‌ is simply following moderation protocol, but yeah, thanks for your comment. As a teacher herself, Renee recognizes and values the one thing teachers don't have enough of, and certainly don't get compensated for: time. Any solution that's not built-in and requires considerable extra time to perform is no solution at all.

To me, this seems like a huge elephant in the Canvas room simply because fixing it wouldn't require much effort. It has to be recognized and prioritized as such, however, in order for timely and meaningful development work to get done. Saying this, I'm applying for any product team leader position Instructure wants to create!