cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bturney
Community Participant

Dashboard Card View - more than 8?

Is there a way as an Admin to have the default card view in the Dashboard to allow more than 8 cards?

This limitation has become apparent to both staff and students during out forced isolation due to COVID-19.

Reasoning:

On top of current courses of study, we have supplementary courses for both staff and students to support their physical & mental wellbeing as well as tools to assist with online learning.

Due to the 8 card limitation, staff and students are required to dive into the course list to locate courses which we would prefer to be more 'in their face'.

Any assistance would be welcomed.

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @bturney ...

I'm not sure where you are getting the number 8.  According to these Guides, up to 20 course cards can be displayed on your Canvas Dashboard.

By default, course cards are automatically added by Canvas and display up to 20 courses.

I hope that this information will be of help to you, Brad.  Sing out if you have any other questions.  Be well, and stay safe!

bturney
Community Participant

Thanks Chris...... I can't seem to force anymore than 8 (I can't even favourite more than that).

I can't find any setting relating to it. DO you know of any?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bturney ...

Unfortunately, I do not.  I will share your question with the Canvas Developers‌ group here in the Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you are not following this group, please use the link I've provided and then click on the "Follow" and "Actions" >> "Join group" links at the top right corner of the page.  Also, you might want to check with the Canvas Help Desk staff: How to contact Canvas Support.  Good luck!

James
Community Champion

I just favorited 21 courses and now have 20 on my dashboard (13 published courses and 7 draft courses).

I'm quickly moving to put it back to normal because that's way too many.

James
Community Champion

I did note that two of the favorites were for the same class (I was student and teacher in one), so I may not have been able to favorite more than 20. Unfortunately, that happened to be the limit on the number of courses I could favorite at all (that's all I'm enrolled in right now)

eileen_m_field
Community Participant

Hi James, 
Wonder if you can help me too. I have lots of courses, and my dashboard was showing them across my screen in rows about 5 / 6 wide. It's now defaulted to just 3 cards wide and lots of white space! I've not reduced the font/ zoom % or anything else on my screen. Any ideas how I can go back to the 5- 6 wide option?
Eileen