Decrease score on each assessment attempt

Jump to solution
EdgarMP
Community Member

I'm a teacher and I'd like to do the next:

1. Assign an assessment to students with multiple attempts, but that in each attempt the student takes, the grade decreases by a certain percentage.
  2. Assign an assessment to students with multiple attempts, but the final grade does not depend only in correct answers, but also in submit order.
  3. Assign an assessment with multiple attempts to students; take the questions from a bank (ej. 100 questions), but the assesment must have only 20 questions. I'd like CANVAS to sort these questions automatically so that every student takes different questions in different attemps .

Thank you very much for your answers.

1 Solution
Allie_Dilts
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @EdgarMP

Thanks for posting your comments here! Since you've outlined your request in numbered steps, I'll do my best to answer each point in a similar way.

1. Canvas won't penalize student submission attempts unless you've established a Late Policy in your course. Only submissions made after the due date would see an automatic grade deduction. 
  2. If you wish to penalize students for multiple quiz attempts, you'll need to do those calculations manually. You can view the student's attempts both in SpeedGrader and from the quiz moderation page. Please note that Canvas and we here at Instructure attempt to observe and enable teaching best practices, and we believe that the current functionality supports that ideal.
  3. Are you using Quizzez or New Quizzes? If the former, you should be able to create question groups in your quiz and specify the number of questions you wish Canvas to pull for each quiz attempt. Check out How do I create a quiz with a question group to randomize quiz questions? You can also select that Canvas manually shuffle answer choices, restrict quiz results and correct answers from displaying, and a host of other quiz options

Hopefully this helps address your concerns. Please let us know if there's anything more my teammates and I can do to help clarify Canvas.  

Thanks, 

Allie 

View solution in original post

0 Likes