cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cstammerjohn
Community Participant

Default Pages view for students

Jump to solution

I currently have two pages set up in one of my courses, a Front Page and another page with web links to various resources. When a student clicks on Pages, he/she is taken to the Front Page. In order to see the other page, they have to click on the All Pages button.

Is there a way to make the All Pages view the default view?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cstammerjohn , if you are using your home page as your course front page, then no, if you have a page as your front page that page will be the first page students see when they click on Pages. If you aren't using your home page as a front page then can using the following work around - Unassigning the Front Page. In general I think this is why some people use Modules or link to the pages they want students to see from their main page. In general we recommend to our faculty that they do not let students access the Pages Index page just so they don't get confused.‌

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cstammerjohn , if you are using your home page as your course front page, then no, if you have a page as your front page that page will be the first page students see when they click on Pages. If you aren't using your home page as a front page then can using the following work around - Unassigning the Front Page. In general I think this is why some people use Modules or link to the pages they want students to see from their main page. In general we recommend to our faculty that they do not let students access the Pages Index page just so they don't get confused.‌

View solution in original post

cstammerjohn
Community Participant

I don't think Modules work for me in this situation. The web links on my Resource page are not time-based or part of any particular lesson.

I have added a link to a Resource page on my course front page and removed Pages from student access. That works, although I miss the option available to us on our old LMS. In that system, I could have a resource page that included folders with files and/or web links - one-stop shopping for students.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm going to amend my reply a bit. As I logged back in, I realized that I can have links and files on the same page. I can create a page with links to both. I currently give students access to my Files page, but that is probably not how it is normally used. It's all becoming clear to me now!

I think the problem was that I was stuck in our old LMS paradigm and didn't see how the Canvas system could work to do the same thing.

Thanks again.