cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tina_luffman
Community Participant

Delete Outcomes in Canvas

Jump to solution

How do I delete Outcomes in Canvas? Our Outcomes have changed. tina.luffman@yc.edu

Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @tina_luffman .  Admittedly, I am not an expert in Outcomes as even in the past we have only used them in a basic way, however this document may be helpful: How do I edit or delete an outcome in a course? As this document notes, 

You can edit outcomes you have created in your course. Outcomes can be modified if they have been used to assess students, but any changes may affect student results.

Notes:

• You can modify any outcomes where you have permission.
  • If an outcome does not include an Edit or Delete button it is an account level outcome or an imported outcome that cannot be edited or deleted.
  • Outcomes that have been aligned with an assignment or question bank cannot be deleted unless they are removed from the assignment or question bank. Outcomes that have been used to assess a student cannot be deleted.

So, there are situations in which outcomes can be deleted and institutional roles that may be able to delete or change outcomes.  

Others here may have more updated knowledge than I, but at an institution I formerly worked at we decided that we would not delete outcomes or change them, but add new versions.  We did this because we noticed (at least at the time) that if we used an outcome in one class or one year, and edited the outcome, that the wording of the outcome changed to the edited version.  This makes sense in some situations, but we wanted to ensure that we always had a record of what the outcome stated at the time the course was offered.  So, we began a naming convention for each outcome that included the year and and version number so that we could add new outcome when necessary and not be concerned about how editing the existing outcome may impact us later on.  I don't know if this impacts your situation or not, but it may be something to consider as well.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @tina_luffman .  Admittedly, I am not an expert in Outcomes as even in the past we have only used them in a basic way, however this document may be helpful: How do I edit or delete an outcome in a course? As this document notes, 

You can edit outcomes you have created in your course. Outcomes can be modified if they have been used to assess students, but any changes may affect student results.

Notes:

• You can modify any outcomes where you have permission.
  • If an outcome does not include an Edit or Delete button it is an account level outcome or an imported outcome that cannot be edited or deleted.
  • Outcomes that have been aligned with an assignment or question bank cannot be deleted unless they are removed from the assignment or question bank. Outcomes that have been used to assess a student cannot be deleted.

So, there are situations in which outcomes can be deleted and institutional roles that may be able to delete or change outcomes.  

Others here may have more updated knowledge than I, but at an institution I formerly worked at we decided that we would not delete outcomes or change them, but add new versions.  We did this because we noticed (at least at the time) that if we used an outcome in one class or one year, and edited the outcome, that the wording of the outcome changed to the edited version.  This makes sense in some situations, but we wanted to ensure that we always had a record of what the outcome stated at the time the course was offered.  So, we began a naming convention for each outcome that included the year and and version number so that we could add new outcome when necessary and not be concerned about how editing the existing outcome may impact us later on.  I don't know if this impacts your situation or not, but it may be something to consider as well.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
tina_luffman
Community Participant

Hi Eric,

Thanks so much for your advice on deleting Outcomes in Canvas!

Tina

Tina Luffman, MA

tina.luffman@yc.edu<mailto:tina.luffman@yc.edu>

(928) 634-6582