cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
josephkwashnak
Community Participant

Deleted students contribution

Jump to solution

This is probably a "well, duh!" question but better to check than assume.  We just started using Canvas live for classes this week. In our system, students are automatically added to the class when they register in Banner, and are dropped from their Canvas class when they withdraw from the class. When withdrawn they are removed from the roster, as I would expect. If they contributed to discussions:

a) does Canvas automatically remove any postings to these discussions?

b) if they are removed, what happens to any replies to that post? Are they also deleted?

I am guessing yes on both, but I wanted to double check. Thank you.

J.J. Kwashnak

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
canvas_admin
Community Champion

josephkwashnak​,   I tested this in our beta instance and deleted an enrollment for somebody who had posted in the discussion forums.  The student's posts were still there as well as replies to the post.  While the student's exam submission and perhaps paper submissions (if applicable) will disappear, it appears as if the forum discussions ​will not​ disappear.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
canvas_admin
Community Champion

josephkwashnak​,   I tested this in our beta instance and deleted an enrollment for somebody who had posted in the discussion forums.  The student's posts were still there as well as replies to the post.  While the student's exam submission and perhaps paper submissions (if applicable) will disappear, it appears as if the forum discussions ​will not​ disappear.

View solution in original post

Thank you. That's welcome news that I will share with other instructors. You've just made some record keeping, especially for Last Date Attended for an online course easier.

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

When you remove a student from a course, all the information associated with their enrollment is hidden, with the exception (knock on wood) of their discussion activity.  So, if you have a student in a course who submits work via assignments, participates in discussions and makes quiz submissions before being removed from the course, then their work or even their name won't show up in the speedgrader, gradebook, roster, etc.  But then if your re-add the same student to the course, all the activity associated with their enrollment (grades, submissions, etc) should automagically come back.

garciah
Community Champion

I understand that all work for an unenrolled student is hidden and that work will reappear if the student is added back into the course. What if I want to access that student's work, but not re-enroll the student in the course? How would I access it?

Thanks! (and, PS: I'm not intentionally picking on you,  @scottdennis ​! Sorry for all the questions.)

No worries!  Glad to have you participating in the community,  @garciah ​!

As of today, there isn't a way for you to access student work from within your course for students who submitted assignments, quizzes, etc before being removed from the course.  This is a primary reason why the   idea is so popular and why we are keen to change this aspect of Canvas.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@garciah ​, I haven't tested this recently, but you should be able to add students back in the test environment to access their previous work. That way the student shouldn't get notified that they've been added to the course and it won't change anything in your production environment.

garciah
Community Champion

That sounds like a brilliant workaround,  @kona ​. Thank you!