cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajohnson43

Deleting Gradebook Entries

I have a shell that was copied from another instructor.  She added several gradebook lines that don't appear to be linked to any assignments.  How do I delete those lines if I cannot find the assignments to which they are linked?

Amy

2 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ajohnson43 , the columns could be assignment groups, which aren't assignments, but a way to group assignments. You can check this by looking at the Assignment page in Canvas and see if you have any "Assignment Groups" with the same names as the columns that are showing up in the Gradebook. Another way to check this is to see if you can enter grades in the columns that are showing up in the Gradebook. If you can't, then they are Assignment Groups. 

To get rid of Assignment groups you would need to go to Assignments and delete them from there. For more information here is a guide that talks about Assignment Groups - How do I add an assignment group in a course? - and a guide that explains the Assignment Index page in general - How do I use the Assignments Index Page?.

I hope this helps!

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @ajohnson43 ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on January 16, 2018.  In reviewing your question and  @kona ‌' response, I do agree with her reply.  To add a little bit more to her response, the Assignment Groups would typically show up with bold headings...such as in this example (Note: These are not actual grades for students...just stuff in my "sandbox" course to play around with):

Assignment Groups in the Gradebook

As you can see from this example, there are two Assignment Groups: "Assignments" and "Turnitin Assignments".  Regular assignments are typically not bolded.

Amy, I am hoping that Kona's response has helped to answer your question, but if not, please let us know by posting a message below so that members of the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Amy.

0 Kudos