cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfrancesmith9
Community Member

Deleting a comment on a grade

Jump to solution

How do I delete a comment I made on a student's quiz grade?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mfrancesmith9 , greetings and welcome to the Community! If you look at the comment in Speedgrader you can click the X in the upper right corner of the comment to delete it. If you are looking at the comment in the Gradebook then click on "More Details in the Speedgrader" and then look on the lower right side of the page for the comment and ability to delete it.

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mfrancesmith9 , greetings and welcome to the Community! If you look at the comment in Speedgrader you can click the X in the upper right corner of the comment to delete it. If you are looking at the comment in the Gradebook then click on "More Details in the Speedgrader" and then look on the lower right side of the page for the comment and ability to delete it.

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@mfrancesmith9  Welcome to the Canvas Community!  @kona ‌ has given you great guidance (thanks, Kona!). I'd only add that although you can delete a comment on a grade, you can't "unsend" it. Students who have their notification preferences set to receive grade comments Right Away will already have received the comment in their notification medium of choice.

corbinj
Community Member

Hi. My question relates to this. What happens when an assignment is muted? Since no notifications are sent-- can you delete a comment and replace it with another without the first being visible? Or, will the student automatically see both when the assignment is unmuted? Thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@corbinj , good question! This is something I do all the time - in fact just today! Yes, you can delete a comment and replace it with another comment while the assignment is muted and students will NOT get the comment that was deleted once the assignment is unmuted. 🙂

Kona

@corbinj ‌, Kona has given you great information. What you describe is exactly what I did during my grading process. I kept the assignment muted until I had reviewed all of the grades and comments, made all of the behind-the-scenes changes and edits I deemed necessary, and only then did I "un-mute" the assignment. At that point, students receive notifications and will not see any of the comments you've deleted during the review process.

LW098
Community Member

@kona I can't see the option to delete a comment at all in SpeedGrader. I've seen on the forum that people are able to view comments above the Assignment Comments box, but nothing shows up there for me. It only works if I Download Comments, but that only gives me a PDF.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Greetings! There should be a X to the right of your comment box in Speedgrader. If you're not seeing this X, it could be that they've got off the edge of the visible page. I have this happen to me (not sure why) and what I end up needing to do is either try to scroll to the right as far as I can, or highlight the text of your comment. When I do this, it scrolls the whole page over to the far right and shows the X. 

Also, to help, here's the guide that shows the X -  How do I leave feedback comments for student submi... - Canvas Community - scroll down to the last two pictures on the bottom of the page. 

Hope this helps! Kona

How do unmute an assignment?

Also, if the instructor deletes the student comments on the assignment submission, will the student be notified?