cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghornsby
Community Member

Deleting users

Jump to solution

When I delete a user who is a teacher, what happens to the courses they have created including student marks?  Is it possible to disable a user without deleting them?  For instance if a teacher leaves and the school doesn't want them to logon to canvas but also doesn't want to delete the user from canvas.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ghornsby , we have adjunct faculty come and go all the time and we don't delete them, just deactivate their accounts. This isn't a Canvas thing as it's a College thing, which means they lose access to College email, Canvas, library databases, College portal, etc. 

For us this means that their account is there with all of their content, they just can't login and access it any longer. 

As for what would be lost if lost if you deleted a teacher... I know the course should still be there with content and students. As for feedback, I'm not 100% sure. The grades should be fine, but if there were grading comments made by the teacher or if the teacher posted on a discussion, is just not sure what would happen. In general I'd personally opt to not delete and instead just deactivate their account somehow. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ghornsby , we have adjunct faculty come and go all the time and we don't delete them, just deactivate their accounts. This isn't a Canvas thing as it's a College thing, which means they lose access to College email, Canvas, library databases, College portal, etc. 

For us this means that their account is there with all of their content, they just can't login and access it any longer. 

As for what would be lost if lost if you deleted a teacher... I know the course should still be there with content and students. As for feedback, I'm not 100% sure. The grades should be fine, but if there were grading comments made by the teacher or if the teacher posted on a discussion, is just not sure what would happen. In general I'd personally opt to not delete and instead just deactivate their account somehow. 

View solution in original post

ghornsby
Community Member

Thanks Kona for your response.

When we delete our staff from our school database their canvas accounts are unaffected. But I did find something on the community about someone who just changes their canvas user name meaning they cant log on. That could work for us.

Thanks again,

Greg

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

We've done similar things with student accounts and yes, that definitely worked!

epulham
Community Participant

I had a similar question to this and after chatting with Canvas's help-- indeed, even if you delete a teacher, their submission comments, inbox messages and other things are RETAINED, not deleted, once you delete the teacher.