cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pattymcconnell
Community Participant

Deny access for a student to an older course that the student is currently retaking

Jump to solution

We are wondering if there is a way to prevent a student from accessing a course that they are currently re-taking so the student cannot go back to the older course and see any information. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually...thinking a bit more on this, "Deactivate" may meet your needs.  My understanding (I haven't tested it...) is that if you Deactivate them, they can't access the course, but their submissions/grades/etc will remain.  You can deactivate them by going to the old course, People tab, and using the gear next to their name.  I'm sure others in the community have used this feature and hopefully can chime in on if that works the way that I think it does.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
abunag
Community Champion

Multiple options, but it really depends on if other students should also be able to see it.

If it's just the one student, then the only real option is to remove them from the old course.

If it's ok to remove access for all students, then go to the old course "Settings", then select the checkbox "Restrict students from viewing course after end date", then save.

pattymcconnell
Community Participant

Thanks for your reply, Anthony. We wanted to try and avoid removing the student from the old class. I just was not sure there was a way to accomplish that and restrict their access to the older course. 

Actually...thinking a bit more on this, "Deactivate" may meet your needs.  My understanding (I haven't tested it...) is that if you Deactivate them, they can't access the course, but their submissions/grades/etc will remain.  You can deactivate them by going to the old course, People tab, and using the gear next to their name.  I'm sure others in the community have used this feature and hopefully can chime in on if that works the way that I think it does.

View solution in original post

pattymcconnell
Community Participant

That sounds like the solution we are looking for. It would be great to hear from the community if this has worked for you. Thank you Anthony!

don_bryn
Community Champion

But if you have any online submissions with teacher comments/corrections, won't they still be able to see those?   It would still give them some answers from the previous course.