cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fbidwell
Community Contributor

Deprecated Canvas accordions and accessibility

In Ryan Shaw's helpful comment in this thread about Deprecated use of magic jQueryUI widget, Ryan wrote this concerning the reasons for the removal of Canvas' Style Guide accordions:

"First, sometimes the markup that gets created from people doing this in their content is not accessible. So, for example, users using a screenreader would not be able to use that content."

I would like to know more detail about the accessibility problems with the accordions.  Are the old accordions from the Style Guide just not accessible period?  Or only when used in certain ways?  Ryan wrote that they are "sometimes" not accessible, hence my question.

Thanks,

- Fred

2 Replies
ryan
Instructure
Instructure

Honestly, I don't know. I haven't done a thorough a11y audit on those jqueryUI accordions in a long time since we are using InstructureUI accordions for all of our stuff now. but, for what it's worth, back when jqueryUI  was made it had some of the best a11y support of the different UI libraries (for example, it was much better than the older versions of bootstrap that were popular around the same time). You can get a pretty good test yourself by going to this page: https://ryanshaw.instructure.com/courses/5/pages/content-test. Like I said in that other post though, if you are going to be adding custom javascript widgets to your content it is on you to make sure it is accessible. The safest bet is to just use the RCE to create content in an officially supported way (bonus: you can also now run the newly released a11y-checker tool to check the content you create in the editor)

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fbidwell ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos