cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarena
Community Participant

Detailed Survey Results/Analytics

Jump to solution

I have created a Graded Survey where students are asked to rate their knowledge of various aspects.  There is no right or wrong answer (which is why Survey was used) but am using the survey for attendance (completed the survey = attendance points towards final grade).  I downloaded the excel sheet with the results, but the numeric code with the answer is 1 (for what Canvas assumes is correct) or 0 (all other options).   Can it export each options as its own numeric code so the excel sheet can be used for analytics outside of Canvas?  For example, I had each student rate their perception of their communication skills on a scale of 0 (poor) to 4 (Excellent).  I want to determine the "Average" response.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@sarena ,

The CSV file from the Student Analysis does not export the ID of any response. It does, however, export the text version of the answer provided by a student. The student's response in the column right before the 0 or 1 that you mentioned. 

For example, here's a graded survey from one of my stats courses where I asked them to say whether or not I stressed, covered, mentioned, or did not mention the 22 goals from the 2005 GAISE College Report.

248666_pastedImage_2.png

I turned on wrapping for the top row so you could see what's there. Normally all that appears is the ID. That ID is the question ID, but most people are probably interested in the text of the question follows it. Note that the order of the columns is the order that the questions answered in. This causes some confusion when using question groups and the groups are placed together in the CSV file.

What you could do is search and replace the words and replace them with numbers once it's inside Excel. For example, here I'm replacing "Stressed" with a 4. Be sure to choose Replace All.

248668_pastedImage_4.png

With Excel you would need to repeat that process for each of words.

If you use a statistics package, you can probably code more than one variable at a time.

An alternative may be to code the responses as numbers in the first place. If the text of the choices are numbers, then it will come through as a number in the CSV export. From a student perspective, this could be confusing.

You can also make it a numeric response question and then take the number. This could also be confusing for the student.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
James
Community Champion

@sarena ,

The CSV file from the Student Analysis does not export the ID of any response. It does, however, export the text version of the answer provided by a student. The student's response in the column right before the 0 or 1 that you mentioned. 

For example, here's a graded survey from one of my stats courses where I asked them to say whether or not I stressed, covered, mentioned, or did not mention the 22 goals from the 2005 GAISE College Report.

248666_pastedImage_2.png

I turned on wrapping for the top row so you could see what's there. Normally all that appears is the ID. That ID is the question ID, but most people are probably interested in the text of the question follows it. Note that the order of the columns is the order that the questions answered in. This causes some confusion when using question groups and the groups are placed together in the CSV file.

What you could do is search and replace the words and replace them with numbers once it's inside Excel. For example, here I'm replacing "Stressed" with a 4. Be sure to choose Replace All.

248668_pastedImage_4.png

With Excel you would need to repeat that process for each of words.

If you use a statistics package, you can probably code more than one variable at a time.

An alternative may be to code the responses as numbers in the first place. If the text of the choices are numbers, then it will come through as a number in the CSV export. From a student perspective, this could be confusing.

You can also make it a numeric response question and then take the number. This could also be confusing for the student.

View solution in original post

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sarena a,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie