cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rangulo
Community Participant

Difference between these links?

Hello Community,

I was looking through the access logs for a student and wanted to know what the difference between these two links was.

https://usflearn.instructure.com/courses/1245193/quizzes/1641937 

vs

https://usflearn.instructure.com/courses/1245193/quizzes/1641937?headless=1

What is the ?headless=1 tag for? Any assistance is awesome.

Thank you!

Rodrigo Angulo

3 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @rangulo ‌

One of the really nice things about the access logs is that you can click those links and see where they go, which is exactly what I did. That link takes the user to your school's single sign-on portal. Not being a coder, I have really no idea what "headless=1" means, but suspect it is an executable element related to the log-in prompt on that page. See screenshot below.

252925_pastedImage_1.png

Probably not much help, but it's all I gots!

Wait, you did ask the difference between those links. The difference is that the first link shows that the student visited Quiz #1641p37 in course 1245193; while the second link shows the student visited the school portal.

You may find more thorough help at the Instructional Designers‌ focus Group where there are some really talented folks.

Kelley

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @rangulo ...

I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question here in the Canvas Community on September 26th and then received a reply from  @kmeeusen  later that morning.  Have you had a chance to review Kelley's feedback?  Did it help to answer your question about the difference between those two links?  Do you have any outstanding questions yet as it relates to your initial question?  If you feel that Kelley's response has answered your question, please go ahead and mark his response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some assistance, please let us know by posting a message below so that members of the Community can continue to help you out.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not heard from you in over two months and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for that same amount of time.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions or comments below.  I hope that's okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you, Rodrigo!

James
Community Champion

@rangulo  

headless=1 means to not include the Canvas headings and navigation system around something. It is sometimes used in discussions as well as quizzes. One place I've seen it used is for loading items inside the left pane of of SpeedGrader where you don't want the navigation, just the content.

Here is a quiz without the headless=1

262436_pastedImage_3.png

Here is the same quiz with the headless=1

262432_pastedImage_2.png