Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmason

Different course end dates

Hello.  Is there any way in Canvas of having different course end dates for different students?  Many thanks.

Tags (1)
3 Replies
kblack

Hi pmason - In theory it's possible but whether it's practical will likely depend on several factors, not the least of which is the number of students involved.

This question comes up from time to time in regard to dealing with student incompletes in higher ed, and this is prime season for that type of issue.  Rather than re-invent the wheel, there is an outstanding description of how this can be handled in 925024864‌'s response in this discussion thread from last year.  So if this is your scenario, Earl's description of how it can be handled works like a charm, and is exactly what I do for student incompletes.  Basically, you can create sections of the class and assign students to specific sections and give each section a different end date.  Again, see that thread for more information.

Otherwise, it's not really practical to give every student a different end date. Far easier to give students different due dates for specific assignments, as covered here (How do I assign an assignment to an individual student? ) and here (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10434-4152669141 )

Not sure if this helps or not....but I hope it gives you a few other places to check, Paul!

Ken - thank you very much.  Suggesting we set different due dates for assignments instead is something I had not thought about, couldn't see the wood for the trees perhaps.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

pmason,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie