cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glenn
Community Participant

Differentiated group assignments may yield unexpected results?

Jump to solution

When I choose “This is a Group Assignment” from Assignment options in Canvas, I’m given the following warning: Differentiated group assignments may yield unexpected results.

Can anyone explain to me what a “differentiated group assignment” is, and what kind of “unexpected results” I might experience if I continue? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

glenn​, I'm not 100% sure, but my guess is that this is related to the ability to assign an assignment to a specific student, students, or course sections (or set different due dates for different students/sections) - How do I assign an Assignment to an individual student or course section?

If you're using groups, but also use the differentiate feature, then you have two features that could potentially be working against each other. For example, if everyone in the class is assigned to a group, but you use the differentiate feature to extend the due date for a specific student, Canvas is saying the outcome might not be what you want it to be and they aren't even completely sure what might happen (this is probably due to the many different ways these two features can/could be used).

This is my best guess, but if you want to be completely sure you might want to submit a ticket to Canvas Support asking for clarification (Help --> Report a Problem).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

glenn​, I'm not 100% sure, but my guess is that this is related to the ability to assign an assignment to a specific student, students, or course sections (or set different due dates for different students/sections) - How do I assign an Assignment to an individual student or course section?

If you're using groups, but also use the differentiate feature, then you have two features that could potentially be working against each other. For example, if everyone in the class is assigned to a group, but you use the differentiate feature to extend the due date for a specific student, Canvas is saying the outcome might not be what you want it to be and they aren't even completely sure what might happen (this is probably due to the many different ways these two features can/could be used).

This is my best guess, but if you want to be completely sure you might want to submit a ticket to Canvas Support asking for clarification (Help --> Report a Problem).

View solution in original post

glenn
Community Participant

Thanks, Kona.

If I understand this correctly, a differentiated assignment is a single assignment that has been made available to select students or sections, and probably assigned multiple due dates. As far as I can tell, there is no option to create differentiated groups.

Would it make sense to interpret that warning as “Differentiated assignments may yield unexpected results in groups?”

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

glenn​, you are correct about what differentiated assignments does and that there is no way to differentiate assignments by groups. I'm thinking that your interpretation sounds about right, but honestly I've never tried to mix groups and differentiated assignments, so I'm not 100% sure!