cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sehamilton
Community Member

Difficulties Uploading MP4 Videos

Jump to solution

I have a teacher that has uploaded videos (.mp4) and it still says...

"Media is currently being converted, please try again in a little bit"

Anyone have experience with this?  She did say the videos were very old.

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

3 Solutions
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Yeah, I've seen videos get "stuck" before. The only fix was to delete them and try to upload them again.

View solution in original post

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

Hi stefaniesanders

colleagues who have contacted support have had the pages re-edited and then they work.

My concern is

1. the extra time required to request from canvas support to fix the problem.
  2. the inconsistancy of why some uploaded files work and others don't.
  3. the loss of confidence in Canvas for hosting mp3/mp4.

I would like to know why this is happening though. Is it to do with the processing of the file from Panopto?

Thanks Rob

I also have a Native ASL teacher who is deaf using the recording feature into Canvas for his quizzes, assignments, and last week 3 of his "got stuck". I filed the help ticket on his behalf, and Canvas did their magic. It was about 10 minutes from submitting the ticket to being solved.

My Foreign Language teachers are using the recoding feature to check for fluency and pronunciation and they too have submitted tickets with resolution less than 10 minutes for fixes.

33 Replies
awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Yeah, I've seen videos get "stuck" before. The only fix was to delete them and try to upload them again.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sehamilton ​,

We have also seen videos get stuck before and have opened up a trouble ticket with support who was then able to fix the issue.  I would recommend using the Report A Problem link from the Help menu within the course.

Robbie

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sehamilton ​...

I am going to modify the title of your topic (since the same text already appears in the body of your message).  I am also going to tag your topic with keywords.  Hopefully, these things will make it easier for other people to search for if they have similar questions.  If the modified topic title doesn't reflect your question, please let me know, and we can work to come up with something else.  Thanks.

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

Just to say that we are seeing the same problem and I'd created another discussion on it as I hadn't seen this one (Problem using media upload )

It would be good to know what is causing it. I've tried deleting and adding again with no joy.

The MP3 and MP4 form Panopto are not working whilst other sources do, so no clear understanding as to the logic of this, but it is impacting our teaching.

Rob

myerdon01
Community Champion

I had the same issues last week, but it was only when I tried to record a video directly in Canvas with a webcam.

@r_v_jones , I'd echo  @Robbie_Grant 's advice from a few days ago; direct your faculty to use the Report a Problem option from the Canvas Help menu to open a ticket for every single stalled media upload. Multiple specific reports should help Canvas Support pinpoint the problem as well as whether it is unique to Panopto.

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

Hi stefaniesanders

colleagues who have contacted support have had the pages re-edited and then they work.

My concern is

1. the extra time required to request from canvas support to fix the problem.
  2. the inconsistancy of why some uploaded files work and others don't.
  3. the loss of confidence in Canvas for hosting mp3/mp4.

I would like to know why this is happening though. Is it to do with the processing of the file from Panopto?

Thanks Rob

myerdon01
Community Champion

I agree with these points. I have a hard time getting faculty to use/adopt Canvas and I now have an American Sign Language instructor that would like to have videos of all of her lessons and then have students record themselves, but this issue came up. I have been working with her to find a fix in Canvas and she (and I) are getting frustrated because it seems to be random and you never know when it will happen! She is not confident that Canvas will do what she wants reliably, so she is looking for options outside of Canvas, which I really don't want her to do. I will do as stefaniesanders​ suggested and open a ticket for each stalled media upload and hopefully get Canvas Support enough information to help resolve this issue.

I also have a Native ASL teacher who is deaf using the recording feature into Canvas for his quizzes, assignments, and last week 3 of his "got stuck". I filed the help ticket on his behalf, and Canvas did their magic. It was about 10 minutes from submitting the ticket to being solved.

My Foreign Language teachers are using the recoding feature to check for fluency and pronunciation and they too have submitted tickets with resolution less than 10 minutes for fixes.

I posted this in the other thread (Problem using media upload) as well:

@r_v_jones , I have never used Panopto--but have you had a look at this? Adding Panopto and Recordings to Your Canvas Course | Panopto Support  From what I've read there, it looks like you can bypass the Canvas media upload tool altogether and instead create a new Panopto embed icon in the RCE via a Canvas-Panopto integration at the account level: Panopto and Canvas Configuration | Panopto Support

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

HI stefaniesanders

We are usign the Panopto menu option on some courses, however it is not suitable for all use cases.

We are not using the Panopto embed icon for the same reason.

We are quite simply trying to upload the mp3 / mp4 to Canvas

Steps we are taking are

1. download the mp3 / mp4 file from panopto
  2. navigate to the canvas course you want it to appear in
  3. navigate to page
  4. edit the page and select the Canvas media upload
  5. identify file and click upload

We are then left with the following

mp3 and mp4.png

Hope this helps

Rob

I don't think it's an issue purely caused by Panopto.

I also experienced this with the MOV file being uploaded to assignment. It's kind of frustrated.

It might not be a long-term solution to request Canvas to fix every single media file that submitted by students. It's no point to ask the teachers to wait for fixing while they have to watch the media file and grade the assignments.

Hope there will be a fixing soon.

It definitely is not an issue only caused by Panopto.  For example, I had the problem a couple of times trying to record a short "TEST-1-2-3-4" video right from the RCE.

I've been having this problem with a .mov file as well. I have deleted and re-uploaded several times (last time was 3 days ago) with no luck. I have submitted a ticket, but it is very frustrating.

It is not a Panopto problem it happens in the assignment tool, discussion tool, anywhere you have the Rich Text Editor and want to make a video with the Canvas media recorder tool. It is the Canvas media recorder tool that isn't working. We have a foreign language instructor who has students make recordings with the tool to check fluency. The students record and sometimes they get a video out of it but sometimes it dies after they hit the stop and save. At that point there is no getting it back, it is gone and the student has to re-record. This is an issue and we don't like having to tell faculty or students, sorry it is gone, record it again. We are submitting a ticket and hoping there is enough detail for the Canvas folks to figure out at least some of the criteria you must have to get the Canvas media recorder to save your video consistently.

Karen

Yeah, on the student submission side of things for now due to the unreliability of RCE recorded videos being saved, we have had to advise students to create their videos using QuickTime on Mac's and Screencastify on Windows/Chromebooks. This way if the upload doesn't work they at least haven't lost their work.

kmatson
Community Member

We had a great example for the Instructure folks to look at and in ten minutes they responded to our ticket. The student didn't have their microphone turned on. Apparently this is a common issue and I agree that the controls to turn on your mic and video camera are small and potentially hard to tell if you hit the allow button and it is working; but it is user error not the tool itself. I think in our documentation for faculty and students we should emphasize turning these on and making sure they are on so students and faculty are successful the first time out.

Karen

It is now 2021 and I encountered this problem again.

What made it worse in my case are

1) I am not trying to upload a media file. I couldn't open or download a student submission to mark it; 

2) I reported the problem and got a reply through email that "Canvas Support has seen such a large increase in volume that we are no longer able to provide support for all Free For Teacher help requests." https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor/Media-is-currently-being-converted-please-try-again-in...

What do I do now?

0 Kudos
dellenk

This "Media is currently being converted, please try again in a little bit" problem is also occurring with PDFs.  The file is there, but the preview does not work.  Currently this seems to happen when a file is added via "Files" or as a new file from a module.  For a couple of colleagues and I things seems to work if the file is added directly to a page.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@r_v_jones ​

We hear your concerns and we're sorry you are feeling that way.

Right now, awilliams​ and  @Robbie_Grant ​have provided the best solutions available.  Please do continue to submit support tickets when deleting and re-uploading a stuck media file does not work.

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

@Renee_Carney ​ has there been any movement on fixing this issue. I can tell academics etc to submit a ticket but in reality it is simply resulting in staff not uploading material.

thanks

Thank you for the follow-up question  @r_v_jones ​.  When I brought this to product about 2 weeks ago they had received very few tickets.  The tickets were all resolved by deleting the video and re-uploading it.  They need the support tickets in order to narrow down to an issue and build a solution.

r_v_jones
Community Contributor

Thanks  @Renee_Carney ​ I have again replied to the ticket and given them another example to work through.

Fingers crossed this might work

jlmerrill

I have experienced the same thing. I was able to convert the MP4 to a lower quality .flv file (using AVS video converter) and the video uploaded and played. It seems it was too large (over 30,000KB).

nholsteen

I don't know if this will help anyone who has commented here, but I had the same problem with "Media is currently being converted, please try again in a little bit" when I tried to upload videos from the Photos application in Mac OSX. After trying a number of different things, it finally worked when I followed these steps:

1. Record video on iPad

2. Import video into Photos on the Mac.

3. Export video from Photos to Finder. Use 480p for size reduction.

4. In Finder, right click on video file.

5. Select Services > Encode Selected Video Files.

6. Choose settings "480p" and "Greater Compatibility" from dialog box.

7. Approve the encoding.

8. The resulting video uploaded successfully without receiving the dreaded "Media is currently being converted..." message.

Obviously, different folks are going to have different sources for vide, so steps 1 and 2 may not apply to them. And if you're on a Windows machine, you'll have to figure out if there are actions parallel to steps 3 through 8.

Best wishes to all!

nlatimer
Community Champion

Just an FYI, I have had this problem when simply recording media directly from the RCE, and one of my teachers has it when uploading any .mp4 files. I submitted a ticket late last week and was told that the issue is still being worked on by engineering. If you have a file that won't convert, the current process is to submit a ticket, and they will correct the problem for you until a permanent fix is in place.

LisaCasto

Thanks all for the helpful hints on this.  American Sign Language has dealt with this, and today, it was several students. We're submitting a ticket to help raise the urgency of this.  

nlatimer
Community Champion

Just wanted anyone who is interested to know that this issue has apparently been fixed by Canvas engineering; I received notification of this two days ago.

We had the problem again today. Smiley Sad

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

We actually have this happen on a regular basis with students who are answering a video response question in a quiz (and sometimes that quiz is not graded for a weeks). We have to open tickets with support to have the video "re-processed" so the teacher can grade. The students are using the built-in multimedia tool which means they have nothing to upload or re-upload.

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

I use YouTube videos a lot in my course. However, I have been preparing to use a video that I made for my students myself (cpould not find one I liked on YouTube). However. after reading about all of these these issues, I think I will just upload the video I made to YouTube and then link it to my course (rather than use Canvas files, etc.). Doing so usually embeds the video into the page, and students can watch it while they are in the course. Perhaps this will work for some others as well?

michael_nava2

There are two other options to work around this issue:

1) In a Content Page you provide a link to your Files Index and specify which mp4 file they should watch. (Not the best idea if you want to keep some files hidden from student view.)

2) If video created in Panopto then you can change the Share Settings and allow anyone with a link to watch the video. Then you will have two options for sharing with either a link or HTML code to easily embed video within your content page. 

0 Kudos
peteacher97

2020 and here we are with the same issue. Chatted with canvas and all they can say is have them resubmit. This clearly is an issue since 2015 there has to be a better option especially when we are having students submit videos and if they didn't download or save the file. Having them just do it over is not the response we should be getting. FIX IT please