Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boles
Community Participant

Disable (hide) Home Button

Jump to solution

#home button

The home button is not enabled.  After I enabled it, and saved in the settings, I could not change the settings to disable it (drag it back down to the hide area).  Is there a way to disable it after enabling it?  Is this an administrative setting?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, boles...

The ability to hide the "Home" button from course navigation was a change that Instructure made in their most recent Release Notes.  I would encourage you to look over this particular section in the December 8, 2018 Canvas Release Notes: Navigation Home Link Menu Removal.  Since Instructure just made this change this past weekend, I'm guessing that they are not going to change it back due to reasons listed.  Sorry that this probably wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps to answer your question, Elson.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, boles...

The ability to hide the "Home" button from course navigation was a change that Instructure made in their most recent Release Notes.  I would encourage you to look over this particular section in the December 8, 2018 Canvas Release Notes: Navigation Home Link Menu Removal.  Since Instructure just made this change this past weekend, I'm guessing that they are not going to change it back due to reasons listed.  Sorry that this probably wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps to answer your question, Elson.

View solution in original post

boles
Community Participant

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the explanation, now I know. Appreciate someone took the time to explain. Cheers and happy holidays.

Elson

Elson Boles

Professor, Department of Sociology

Saginaw Valley State University

Gilbertson Hall N266

University Center, 48710

jnickerson1
Community Participant

boles

We use this feature to disable the built-in side navigation extensively in our courses since we build our own side navigation menus.

Courses that already had this disabled have not reverted so we didn't notice until just now while building a new course.

Not being able to disable this is super bad for our use case and now causing us a serious headache. How can we get this changed? 

August 2020

I enabled Home in ALL my courses because Announcements are not showing up in the home page that I set (I made the correct setting under Settings > Course Details > Show More Options and save it before moving away from that tab). Now I cannot disable Home and even if I import a course without the settings (using "Select specific content") , the default is having ALL settings enabled! and Home CANNOT BE DISABLED!!!

Who's going to fix this... and the download of gradebook... and the management of Announcements... and the management of the "All Courses" page... and the limited type of questions...

What would be needed to go back to Blackboard?