Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brystfire08
Community Participant

Disable or Hide Canvas Next Button via External tool

Jump to solution

Hi

Is there a way to disable or hide the next button via an external tool? I want to prevent the students on accessing the next segment before finishing the given exercise. External tool is in an iframe within canvas so I cannot access variables or elements on parent pages.

Is there something in the API that works like this?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brystfire08
Community Participant

It turns out that I can add requirements to my segments to lock the next ones. So I put a minimum score requirement of 100% for each segment then just do a Grade pass back via my External Tool when they finish the exercises there to unlock the next. 😄

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @brystfire08 ...

I am not aware of any External Tool (LTI app) that would remove the "Next" button from your course.  API is not something I am not well versed in, so I won't be able to address that specifically.  There may be something that your school's Canvas administrator could do either in the global CSS or global JavaScript file.  But, keep in mind that if your Canvas admin would make a change like this...it would apply to all courses at your school...not just your course.  So, you'd want to have a conversation with your Canvas admin to discuss what other options you might be able to come up with.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

brystfire08
Community Participant

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the Canvas admin features but right now I'm only using a free instructor account. I am trying to develop our site to be fully integrated to canvas and provide the content to schools. It will be great if they add this feature for external tools to programmatically hide and show those "Next" and "Previous" buttons.

brystfire08
Community Participant

It turns out that I can add requirements to my segments to lock the next ones. So I put a minimum score requirement of 100% for each segment then just do a Grade pass back via my External Tool when they finish the exercises there to unlock the next. 😄

View solution in original post