Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swinning

Disable "Accepted the Course Invitation" Notification

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off notifications for when users accept course invitation? I keep getting notifications on when people have accepted their course invitation and as a designer, I would prefer turning off this feature so that I do not get emails and notification every time someone accepts an invitation (which is a lot). 

Thanks!

Tags (1)
12 Replies
valentinesking
Advocate

Sean,

When we were first getting set up with Canvas- I was getting a lot of those as well. However, not anymore. It might have been our admins that disabled that "feature" or my account Notifications changes that I severely locked down. While I like to think I have (super) powers- it is more likely our mighty admins that made something happen.

@valentinesking ‌,

Thanks for the help!

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @swinning ‌

As a Canvas Admin, Instructional Designer, and Instructor I learned real early in our migration to Canvas to turn of about 99% of my notifications! I don't need my inboxes blown up reminding me of things I already know I did because I just did them, or that folks have accepted a course invitation!

Learn how at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10029-4152719738 

Kelley

Hi  @kmeeusen ‌,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I can't just turn off ALL of my notifications for a few reasons:

1. I'm also a student. So turning off my notifications means I won't get notified of important information sent my way regarding my class. 
  2. I still rely on notifications to alert me about other issues that still come up on a regular basis as a designer (e.g. announcements from other faculty, messages that get sent to me from faculty/students/TAs, new changes in courses, etc.). 

So unfortunately this is not an option. I appreciate the help though!

If anyone else can let me know if there is a way to do this, that would be great. Even if it means I have to speak to one of our administrators, I'm willing to do that. 

That is unfortunate, Sean!

Hopefully, some other solution will pop up.

Kelley

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @swinning ...

It's been almost two months since there's been any new activity in this thread, so I thought that I'd check in with you.  Were you able to find a solution so that you're not getting so many notifications about accepted course invites?  If so, would you be willing to share what you've found back here in the Canvas Community?  Or, you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please feel to mark that response as "Correct".  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments related to this topic below.  I hope that's alright with you, Sean.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Hi  @Chris_Hofer ‌

I did not get a solution to this actually. 

0 Kudos
marthazumack
Community Contributor

@Chris_Hofer ‌

I have the same question, and as Sean said, this wasn't really answered...

0 Kudos
i_oliveira
Community Member

@swinning ‌, today I got the same question from a teacher at our Faculty and was very displeased to know that this has gone unanswered (and that there is no solution out of the box).

What I have done for myself, and is also what I suggested to my colleague, was to create a Rule on Outlook that filters anything coming from Canvas and sends it to a "Canvas" folder where I will only look now and then.

If you use Outlook this function is called "Rules". If you use Gmail, it's called "Filters".

276215_pastedImage_1.png

For Gmail, access the Gmail Settings and create a new rule:

276216_pastedImage_2.png

You can also create a filter from the search box in Gmail:

276217_pastedImage_3.png

Hope this helps you

Ivan

marthazumack
Community Contributor

Hi  @swinning ‌

Through some trial and error, I've discovered this notification is tied to the Groups>Membership update notification. As long as you can turn off that notification and don't need it on for other reasons, this should stop you from receiving notifications about students accepting course notifications. Note that this isn't mentioned in the notifications documentation!

Hope this helps!

Martha

ellen_peters
Community Participant

According to my tests, these notifications can be disabled by switching off the Administrative alerts in the notification settings. This also disables notifications about students who have self enrolled in courses that have enabled self enrollment.

spanbock

Ellen Peters has the correct answer. Toggle off "Administrative Alerts" in notification settings. Read complete info on notifications here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/CanvasNotifications.pdf