Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reynoldsm

Discussion Feature in Cross-listed Courses

Jump to solution

I have cross-listed three of my courses.  They are all the same courses, just different sections (or periods of the day).  When I post a discussion, it combines all students from the three classes into one discussion.  Is there a way to separate the three discussion boards to my three sections?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@reynoldsm ​, there are two ways I can think of doing this, groups or differentiated assignments. Neither is perfect, but after working through both I'm thinking groups might be easier/better.

Groups: For groups you could create a group for each cross-listed section and then when you set your discussion up choose the option to make it a group discussion - How do I create a Group Discussion for my course? The downside of this is that it will create a completely different space for this these groups. See the following document for more information - What are Student Groups? [Side note, I'm actually doing this in my course right now for group projects and it seems to be working ok.]

Differentiated Assignments: For Differentiated Assignments you would set-up three identical discussion assignments (one for each cross-listed section) and then assign each discussion to a different section. Students wouldn't be able to see/access the discussion that wasn't assigned to them and it wouldn't mess up their grades. On your side you'd have three basically identical discussions and it would clutter up your gradebook. Here's a guide for more information - How do I assign a Graded Discussion to an individual student or course section?

I hope this information helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@reynoldsm ​, there are two ways I can think of doing this, groups or differentiated assignments. Neither is perfect, but after working through both I'm thinking groups might be easier/better.

Groups: For groups you could create a group for each cross-listed section and then when you set your discussion up choose the option to make it a group discussion - How do I create a Group Discussion for my course? The downside of this is that it will create a completely different space for this these groups. See the following document for more information - What are Student Groups? [Side note, I'm actually doing this in my course right now for group projects and it seems to be working ok.]

Differentiated Assignments: For Differentiated Assignments you would set-up three identical discussion assignments (one for each cross-listed section) and then assign each discussion to a different section. Students wouldn't be able to see/access the discussion that wasn't assigned to them and it wouldn't mess up their grades. On your side you'd have three basically identical discussions and it would clutter up your gradebook. Here's a guide for more information - How do I assign a Graded Discussion to an individual student or course section?

I hope this information helps!

It does help!  I wish we could assign to an individual class like we can for assignments, though.  It would make it much more user friendly.  Thanks!