cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
canvas_admin
Community Champion

Discussion Post Caching Issue

For about 2 months now, we've been experiencing an intermittent caching issue with random discussion posts. Our professor will receive an e-mail notification containing the content of the discussion post, but the discussion does not appear in the forum itself.  Originally, I was sending this issue to Canvas Support who would force the discussion through.  Currently, I am doing it myself through the API. I cannot figure out a pattern to why it is happening. It is different students in different classes in different discussion forums on different days and at different times (I'm keeping a detailed spreadsheet on this).   

However, I was wondering if any other institutions were experiencing a similar issue or if it is just us?

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

That is super strange. As far as I know we haven't experienced this, but I'll keep an eye out.

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Thanks, Kona.  As of today (11-17), I'm up to 13 reported instances of this happening where I fixed it by pushing it through via API.   Quite frustrating for both me and professors involved.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @canvas_admin , there hasn't been any activity on this discussion in a while--but so far, it would not seem that other Community members are experiencing the same issue. Is this still happening? Did you ever find out how or why?

canvas_admin
Community Champion

Hi stefaniesanders,

It's still occurring for us and support has attached it to a JIRA (CNVS-33709) and provided me with a workaround.  I basically am forcing the discussion posts to appear in the forum via the API.  It's quite annoying as I'm having to do this an average of 2-3 times daily. :smileyconfused:

Ugh,  @canvas_admin ​, I'm sorry to hear that. Smiley Sad

I'm basically keeping a spreadsheet detailing the student/professor whose post is missing, the course name/number, the discussion name/number, the entry number, date, and time.   Canvas Support was very thankful for such a detailed list and it keeps growing daily. I ended up doing a total of 25 in November (and these were just the ones reported to me) and so far I've done 20 (just the ones reported to me) in December.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@canvas_admin ,

Was a fix ever produced for this issue?  I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie