cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oskir
Community Member

Discussion Posts

Jump to solution

I setup a discussion board that requires a post before seeing replies.  Does this mean that I have to post a reply in order to see the students' replies?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @oskir  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Although I couldn't find any mention of it in this Guide, How can I require students to reply to a course discussion before they see other replies?, my own testing in my sandbox course leads me to believe that you do not need to post a reply in order to see the replies of your students.  I created a new discussion topic in my sandbox course as an instructor with the option "Users must post before seeing replies" selected, and then I logged in as two "dummy" students.  I posted a reply as each "dummy" student.  When I returned to my own view, I went back to that discussion topic, and I was able to see both replies from the "dummy" students without issue.

I hope this will be of help to you, Ruth Ann.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @oskir  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Although I couldn't find any mention of it in this Guide, How can I require students to reply to a course discussion before they see other replies?, my own testing in my sandbox course leads me to believe that you do not need to post a reply in order to see the replies of your students.  I created a new discussion topic in my sandbox course as an instructor with the option "Users must post before seeing replies" selected, and then I logged in as two "dummy" students.  I posted a reply as each "dummy" student.  When I returned to my own view, I went back to that discussion topic, and I was able to see both replies from the "dummy" students without issue.

I hope this will be of help to you, Ruth Ann.  Please let Community members know if you have any questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post