Discussion format - students editing/deleting their posts

Jump to solution
e11135
Community Novice

I love the discussion abilities that Canvas gives us teachers!  I used it in Blackboard in other classes, and the students enjoyed it too.

I am a high school ELA teacher.  I want to use discussions to pose thought-provoking questions that students would respond to, and I would require them to respond to at least two other students' posts to get points.  I will also check the box that requires students to submit a post themselves before being able to read and comment on other students' posts.

I also thought about using discussions as a way to check for understanding.  This is where things might get tricky.

I don't want a student who has not done his work or does not understand the work to be able to submit a blank/gibberish post, look at what other students (who completed and understood the work) wrote, and then go back to their post and copy/rephrase what the other students have said.

Is it possible to disable editing/deleting posts and replies once they are submitted?  I would be better able to determine through the discussion feature which students are not doing their own work, and/or students who are not absorbing the material.

Thanks!!!

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@e11135 ...

When you are signed in to your Canvas course, click on "Settings", and then scroll down to the very bottom of the screen.  You'll see a link for "more options" to click on.  There are a handful of check-boxes related to discussion topics...one of which is to allow (or not allow) students to edit/delete their own postings.  Check out the bottom of this Guide for more information: How do I set details for a course? (under the "View More Options" heading).  Also, check out this Guide: How do I allow students to edit and delete their own discussion posts in a course?.

I hope these resources will be of help to you, Jon.  Sing out if you have any other questions...thanks!  Take care...stay safe...be well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes