cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christina_dicke
Community Member

Discussion posts

Jump to solution

Is there a spot for discussion posts on Canvas? If so, where do I find it? 

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @christina_dicke   and  Welcome  to the Canvas Community!

Are you asking as a student, or as a teacher?

Yes, Canvas includes a discussion feature, and these can be found in the Discussions content area, or embedded in their appropriate modules depending on how the instructor has set them up. Many faculty who organize their classrooms using Modules, will hide the Discussion content area (along with other content areas) to avoid confusing students.  You can learn more about Discussions in the Discussions Chapter of the Student Guide.

If you are a student, and are looking for the Discussions in your course, but don't see the Discussions content area in your course navigation menu, then check modules. If you don't find the discussions posted there, it is likely that your teacher does not use them. I would ask your teacher.

If you are a teacher, and want to learn how to create and use discussions, you can learn more in the Discussions Chapter of the Instructor Guide.

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @christina_dicke   and  Welcome  to the Canvas Community!

Are you asking as a student, or as a teacher?

Yes, Canvas includes a discussion feature, and these can be found in the Discussions content area, or embedded in their appropriate modules depending on how the instructor has set them up. Many faculty who organize their classrooms using Modules, will hide the Discussion content area (along with other content areas) to avoid confusing students.  You can learn more about Discussions in the Discussions Chapter of the Student Guide.

If you are a student, and are looking for the Discussions in your course, but don't see the Discussions content area in your course navigation menu, then check modules. If you don't find the discussions posted there, it is likely that your teacher does not use them. I would ask your teacher.

If you are a teacher, and want to learn how to create and use discussions, you can learn more in the Discussions Chapter of the Instructor Guide.

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Hello  @christina_dicke ...

@kmeeusen  has given you a great start to your questions about Discussions, so I have gone ahead and marked his reply as "Correct".  I wanted to also include some video links for you as well if you wanted to view those:

Video Link : 1108  

You can find these videos (and many more) by clicking on the "Guides" menu at the top of any page here in the Canvas Community website, and then click on "Videos" in the menu that appears.

Hope this helps, Christina!