cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kburkes
Community Contributor

Discussions Index Page -- Search?

Jump to solution

At the top of the Discussions Index page there is a search bar.  I have tried searching for names of people who have posted to discussions, and I get nothing.  It says "Search by Title or Author", but neither work.  What is that search box for?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello kburkes...

The Discussions index page does not search the contents of topics you've created (including your discussion prompt for each discussion topic and the responses you get from students).  In your course, on the Discussions index page, the search box says, "Search by title or author..." meaning that you can search by your name or the title of each discussion topic you've created.  If you are the only one who has created topics in your course, then you can type in your name.  But if you type in a student's name, it's not going to find anything because none of your students would have created a topic on the index page (unless, of course, you've allowed that via your course "Settings" page).

Conversely, if you drill down into a specific discussion topic, then the search box criteria changes a bit to "Search entries or author".  For this search box, you can type in the name of a student or keywords from within someone's posting.

I searched for existing Feature Ideas, and I found one related to searching discussion topics.  In it, it was suggested that the following Feature Idea would possibly encompass searching discussions, too: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1165-comprehensive-course-search-tool-searching-course-content....

I realize this might not have been the answer you were hoping for, but I do hope that it has helped to answer your question, Kate.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello kburkes...

The Discussions index page does not search the contents of topics you've created (including your discussion prompt for each discussion topic and the responses you get from students).  In your course, on the Discussions index page, the search box says, "Search by title or author..." meaning that you can search by your name or the title of each discussion topic you've created.  If you are the only one who has created topics in your course, then you can type in your name.  But if you type in a student's name, it's not going to find anything because none of your students would have created a topic on the index page (unless, of course, you've allowed that via your course "Settings" page).

Conversely, if you drill down into a specific discussion topic, then the search box criteria changes a bit to "Search entries or author".  For this search box, you can type in the name of a student or keywords from within someone's posting.

I searched for existing Feature Ideas, and I found one related to searching discussion topics.  In it, it was suggested that the following Feature Idea would possibly encompass searching discussions, too: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1165-comprehensive-course-search-tool-searching-course-content....

I realize this might not have been the answer you were hoping for, but I do hope that it has helped to answer your question, Kate.

View solution in original post

kburkes
Community Contributor

Thank you. That explained it!