cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gpuljak
Community Participant

Discussions and Analytics

Does anyone know if I can view analytics for Discussions?

Tags (2)
9 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Are you wanting something specific in terms of analytics for discussions? In general there isn't anything like for quizzes, but you can get some information. Just depends what you want. 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@gpuljak ‌, maybe  @James ‌'s https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers/blog/2016/01/02/how-to-count-student-discus...‌ Canvancement will give you what you're looking for. As  @kona ‌ points out, it depends on what you need.

kroeninm
Community Champion

@gpuljak ‌, depending on what is possible at your institution, you might look into Threadz as well.  We have this as an option instructors can enable and it provides statistics in a downloadable format and several visualizations.  It's really interesting to visually "see" the data.  Especially for those of us that aren't good with charts and graphs like myself. Smiley Happy

Visualize Discussions - Threadz 

"How can I use Threadz in my teaching?

 View post length; view late, and unread posts.

 Identify learner isolation or non-integrated groups

 Understand correlation (if any) to discussion forum participation and learning outcomes

 Identify how instructor-centric discussions may differ from learner-centered discussions and any impact on student participation

 Challenge students to achieve participation metrics in their posts, or to influence interactions with others

 Challenge the class as a whole to increase participation and interaction"

- Melanie

muh
Community Contributor

Ditto, such a great toolQ

Melanie, thanks for the suggestion. Good to "see" you!

Shelley

You too  @rochelle_rodrig ‌, miss your energy and creativity!  

Here's a little more info from a recent session I did.  Discussion stats can also be viewed using James Jones's work pulling info into Google as well.  

- Melanie

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @gpuljak  ...

I noticed that it's been quite a while (April 2) since you first posted this message here in the Canvas Community, and so I thought I would check in with you.  It looks like you've received several responses from members of the Community.  Have you had a chance to review those postings?  If so, did any of them help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with you initial question?  If you feel that one of the above replies has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  However, if you still need assistance with this question, please come back to this thread and post a message below so that the Community can continue to assist you.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below.  I hope that's okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Glory.

fabian_froehlic
Community Member

How can an instructor enable the student view? So that students have access to the graphics and statistics?

Where is the button to enable this?

Hello  @fabian_froehlic  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Instructors can view a course from a student's perspective by following the instructions in this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13122-415261153  However, I'm not sure if your second question is assuming that if you go to "Student View" that actual students will then have access to the graphics and statistics.  If I am interpreting that correctly, I don't believe they would (though I'm happy to be wrong if someone can confirm otherwise).