cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cistel
Community Member

Discussions is not visible to students. How do I make it visible?

Jump to solution

Discussions is not visible to students.  How do I make it visible?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Hi  @cistel ‌! First you'll want to make sure that you've enabled Discussions in your course navigation menu. Here's a guide on setting up your navigation: How do I manage Course Navigation links?

Once Discussions are enabled, you'll want to make sure you have published discussions open in your course. If there are no class discussion topics yet, or if there are no discussion topics visible to students (because they're unpublished), students will not see Discussion in your course menu. Once a published discussion exists, that navigation option will be visible to students.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Hi  @cistel ‌! First you'll want to make sure that you've enabled Discussions in your course navigation menu. Here's a guide on setting up your navigation: How do I manage Course Navigation links?

Once Discussions are enabled, you'll want to make sure you have published discussions open in your course. If there are no class discussion topics yet, or if there are no discussion topics visible to students (because they're unpublished), students will not see Discussion in your course menu. Once a published discussion exists, that navigation option will be visible to students.

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cistel , greetings! The first thing I would check is that the discussions are published. For more information on this and what to do, see the following - How do I use Draft State in Discussions? 

If your discussion is published, but students still can't see the discussion, I'd check to see if the Module the discussion is in (if you are using Modules) is published. For more information on this, see the following - How do I use Draft State in Modules? 

If you want to see what your students are seeing, I'd recommend using "Student View." - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13122-415261153 

Hope this helps! Kona

Thank you, Audra. You solved my problem.

Claudia

Claudia Istel

Mathematics Department adjunct faculty

River Valley Community College

cistel@ccsnh.edu