cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boles
Community Participant

Do required items in "edit module settings" need to be in sequential order?

Jump to solution

In "Edit Module Settings" I selected, "Students must complete all of these requirements" and "Students must move through these requirements in sequential order."  Both checked.  The question is, must items (for which I set "view," "submit," etc.)

be in sequential order (as they appear in the module itself)?  Will not putting them in the same order override "Students must move through these requirements in sequential order," or the opposite, have no affect on that setting? 

Background: This issue arose for me when I added items to the module after already making settings for existing items. 

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hello boles​ - An interesting question, and one that I couldn't resist trying out myself just to be sure my hunch was right with this.  I used an older workshop course and used admin powers to "masquerade" as a student to test this out.  So here was my Module setup.  I set each one to "must submit" just to ensure against "accidental" viewing of a page:

module settings.jpg

So, they are arranged as Essay One, Quiz on Unit One, and "The Dust Bowl" discussion.  On the Modules page itself, however, the order of the last two is reversed:

sample module.jpg

So (I hope I'm understanding your concern correctly), the student sees them in a different order that how they are set up on the module requirements page.  The answer to your question is that the STUDENT VIEW trumps your arrangement.  Here is the student's view of the Modules page after successfully submitting the Essay One assignment:

student view.jpg

So, the student MUST complete the assignment for the discussion BEFORE moving on to the quiz--in order words, replicating the order that is seen on the Modules page itself and not the order of the requirements.  I think you'd agree that this is how it should be--and how I would personally expect it to behave--since the student would obviously be totally unaware of how you set up the requirements.

I hope this helps answer your question!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hello boles​ - An interesting question, and one that I couldn't resist trying out myself just to be sure my hunch was right with this.  I used an older workshop course and used admin powers to "masquerade" as a student to test this out.  So here was my Module setup.  I set each one to "must submit" just to ensure against "accidental" viewing of a page:

module settings.jpg

So, they are arranged as Essay One, Quiz on Unit One, and "The Dust Bowl" discussion.  On the Modules page itself, however, the order of the last two is reversed:

sample module.jpg

So (I hope I'm understanding your concern correctly), the student sees them in a different order that how they are set up on the module requirements page.  The answer to your question is that the STUDENT VIEW trumps your arrangement.  Here is the student's view of the Modules page after successfully submitting the Essay One assignment:

student view.jpg

So, the student MUST complete the assignment for the discussion BEFORE moving on to the quiz--in order words, replicating the order that is seen on the Modules page itself and not the order of the requirements.  I think you'd agree that this is how it should be--and how I would personally expect it to behave--since the student would obviously be totally unaware of how you set up the requirements.

I hope this helps answer your question!

boles
Community Participant

Hi Ken -

I thank you for responding and investigating, and finding the answer. That answer is, to paraphrase, "No, the order of the items in the 'edit module settings' do not need to be in sequential order (as they appear in the module itself." The order will have no impact on a on students' experience in the module itself.

To recap why I asked this question: after completing module settings, I realized that I had to add additional items to a module. Although one can locate a new item anywhere in a module, that's not the case in the module settings. When one adds a new item in the module settings, it can only be inserted at the end of the existing list of items already there in the module settings. I had been adding them to match the sequential order in the module and was concerned that adding one out of sequential order might affect student's experience when they went through the items in the module. But I see now that the order of the items in the module settings has no impact on the student's experience. Having checked, "Students must complete all of these requirements" and "Students must move through these requirements in sequential order," refers only to the order of items in the Module, not to the order of items in module settings.

Thanks again for your response, I hope I understand correctly.

Elson Boles

Professor, Department of Sociology

Saginaw Valley State University

Gilbertson Hall N266

University Center, 48710

Vice-President, Four-Year Colleges

Michigan Association of Higher Education

kblack
Community Champion

Hi Elson -

Happy to help, and yes--you understand correctly.  I found that annoying, as well, when adding a requirement that it's only at the end.  But fortunately Canvas was a step ahead of us in realizing that what the students see is the most important.  The BIGGER issue is forgetting to add in a requirement after adding something to a Module!  (Easy to do!)