cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myerdon01
Community Champion

Do student log ins from the Canvas app show up in the student access reports?

If a student logs into a course using the Canvas app, will it still show what the student has accessed?

11 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm going to share this with the Canvas Mobile Users​ group for a definitive answer, but from what I could find when I searched the Community it doesn't look like it will.

For more information check out the following - & Canvas App Activity & Mobile App Usage Reported in Total Activity 

abunag
Community Champion

last time I talked to Instructure about this (maybe 3 months ago), if I remember correctly, the only page views you can trust for mobile users are when they do something with quizzes, or try to submit an assignment, or interact with an external tool.  Other page views may get logged, or may not, including logins.  I wonder if the new apps will improve this.

tdelillo
Community Champion

Mobile app activity does not show up in the Access Reports or in the Analytics, as discussed in . I have seen this issue myself. It is apparently not considered a bug, but will hopefully be resolved as part of the feature idea (on the roadmap) to get this information added to Analytics in general.

myerdon01
Community Champion

Thank you everyone-this is what I thought I had read previously, but couldn't find anything! I have a student that says she can't log into Canvas from any computer (presumably user error), but her work is getting done, yet I see that she her last log on was over 3 weeks ago, and come to find out that she has been using the app. Another instructor had the same issue today and asked if it were possible for a student to be doing work, but showing a last log in at the end of September.

mrfphd
Community Participant

This is a critical issue for me since I give students credit for reading the information posted on the modules and the only way I know if they read it or not is by looking at the access log. Sometimes I see access and other times not, though the student consistently says they access the material.  My guess is that sometimes it's accessed on their phone and sometimes another device. Considering students' using their phones more and more, unless this issue is addressed I think the access reports are pretty meaningless (and only make us look bad.)

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I agree this needs fixed, but until then what if you used the requirement feature to make students mark that they've read the content in the modules or make a quiz self grading quiz based on the content of the modules? Both of these ideas would probably save you more time than going into each student's access report to see if and when they last viewed the content on the modules; and wondering if you're actually seeing the correct information.

mrfphd
Community Participant

There is no option for them to check that they've read the content and I don't always have time to give them a quiz before class.  Plus I'm using the iClickers so I often ask them questions in class, or set up discussions.  Agree it's a waste of time to go into the content--sometimes I do have a quiz or discussion link at the very end, but not always.

mrfphd, with regard to the requirement feature,  @kona ​ was referring to How do I add requirements to a module?

Hi  @kona , I am glad you wrote "make students mark that they've read the content" because it appears that requirements might not automatically be marked complete when they're completed in a mobile app.  At least that was the experience we had with one case where the submission was made using the iOS app, and the student was unable to move to the next item in the module.  So many students use the mobile apps these days.  This could be a headache for teachers who rely on access reports and requirements.  https://community.canvaslms.com/message/77489-how-accurate-are-canvas-access-reports 

I'm adding this comment even though the discussion is almost a year old, but we often search and find these discussions and rely on them for answers.  They are a GREAT resource!