Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
travis_87

Doc Viewer can't display portrait & landscape pages in the same document?

Jump to solution

Many of our assignments require students to submit documents that have a few landscape-oriented pages inside of a document that is mostly portrait-oriented.  Crocodoc seemed to handle this just fine and displayed both types of pages completely, but Doc Viewer cuts of the right side of the landscape pages to make them fit in a portrait page sized space.  The portrait pages are important to the students' work and can't just be re-oriented.  It is also important that the students only submit one file.  Is there anything we can do to fix this?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kenneth_rogers

@travis_87 ‌ -

I created a ticket with Canvas Support and already heard back from them. What they said was you should be able to scroll left and right, as well as zoom out to view the document. I will hope that when you first asked your question there was a bug when you were unable to scroll and now it is fixed. I should've noticed earlier that I had a scroll bar - my mistake!

Here's how it works:

252638_docviewer.gif

So, this is functioning as designed, because the docviewer defaults to the zoom of the first page. I disagree with this design, and think they should default to the widest part of the document. Although, I suppose you could have a document with a page that is 11x17 (or even wider), which would cause issues. You might want to consider adding this as a new Canvas Feature Idea. For more information on how feature ideas work see the following guides, How do I create a new feature idea? and How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kblack

Whoa, you are not kidding  @travis_87 ‌!  I just replicated this issue on a sample course using Word's ability to input random words and inserted a couple of breaks changing the page orientation.  However, it appears a few others have commented on this, if you check the release notes' comments here:  Canvas Release: Canvas DocViewer .  However, I didn't spot anywhere if that was being worked on or not.  

First, you definitely should find a support case with Canvas:  Help>>Report a Problem or have your IT folks report it.  Secondly, you may also want to add a comment here:  DocViewer Plan, because interestingly although it has been commented on in the Release Notes, I do not see evidence of it being acknowledged in the DocViewer Plan.  I do not know which is being more closely monitored by Instructure, but regardless filing a support case is the best way to bring it to the attention of the Instructure engineers.

For what it's worth to show to other folks out there in Community-land, here is an example of a landscape page just after a regular portrait page.  (Note the way the text cuts off, and there is NO scroll bar at the bottom.  This occurs in preview mode within a page as well as in the FILES area.)

243777_sample page.jpg

Hello,  @travis_87 ‌!

I wanted to circle back to this issue and hopefully raise some awareness for this. After 2 months, this appears to still be an issue. I just tested this and was able to replicate it on my end. Curiously, I found that if the landscape pages were before portrait pages worked fine (as long as they're not after a portrait page).

Out of curiosity, did you report this to Canvas Support as  @kblack ‌ suggested? If so, what was the response? 

@kblack ‌ &  @kenneth_rogers ‌

Would one or both of you please submit this as a support thicket.  We had record and corrected he issue where landscape pages would be rotated to portrait, but I do not see record of this bug being reported.  Thanks.

Thanks,  @Renee_Carney ‌! I just submitted!

kenneth_rogers

@travis_87 ‌ -

I created a ticket with Canvas Support and already heard back from them. What they said was you should be able to scroll left and right, as well as zoom out to view the document. I will hope that when you first asked your question there was a bug when you were unable to scroll and now it is fixed. I should've noticed earlier that I had a scroll bar - my mistake!

Here's how it works:

252638_docviewer.gif

So, this is functioning as designed, because the docviewer defaults to the zoom of the first page. I disagree with this design, and think they should default to the widest part of the document. Although, I suppose you could have a document with a page that is 11x17 (or even wider), which would cause issues. You might want to consider adding this as a new Canvas Feature Idea. For more information on how feature ideas work see the following guides, How do I create a new feature idea? and How does the voting process work for feature ideas?