cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maura_roberto
Community Member

Documents will not open

Jump to solution

My peers and instructor are not able to view my document uploads in the discussion section. Neither my word documents nor PowerPoints will work. I am not sure what is going on. I am not had any issues in my previous semesters. Below is a screen shot of how I upload the documents.

screenshot.pngI just click the paperclip under the tect box then click browse. Pick my document then post my reply.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I've tried using docx doc and the same for ppt. I haven't tried chrome or Firefox. And I would assume that the people trying to view them have Microsoft office since they are also uploading Microsoft documents. I am not sure what type of browsers they are using

Get Outlook<http://aka.ms/uzin6x>

View solution in original post

ejackson
Community Champion

I oversee our College's Student Help Desk and when we have students contact us with a problem similar to this, most of the time it turns out to be a browser issue, and that browser turns out to be Internet Explorer or Edge. If you haven't tried Chrome or Firefox, please try that and see if the problem clears up. Also, make sure your file is saved and closed; if the file is still open, it will not attach properly. (That's another issue we have seen come up.)

One other thing I'm wondering is if the file might be too large to attach? We have also run into that issue with students trying to attach a file, especially if it is a PowerPoint file with pictures or clipart.

To back up what  @kona ​ said, it would be helpful if you could attach a screenshot of what your discussion and attachment looks like after you post it. That might help us see better what is going on.

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@maura_roberto ​...

What kind of file extensions are on the files you are trying to upload?  Are they the typical *.doc, *.docx, *.ppt, *.pptx extensions that are commonly used with Microsoft Office?  Also, which web browser are you using?  Are you using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome instead of Internet Explorer?  What about the other people who are trying to view your attached files?  What browsers are they using?  Do they have Microsoft Office installed on the computers they are using to open your files?  If you could help answer some of theses questions, that would be great...thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@maura_roberto ​, could you show a screen shot of what your discussion and attachment look like after you post it? I'm curious to see the file extension that comes up after you post.

One thing that comes to my mind is if you have all of the documents closed on your computer before you try to attach them to your discussion. If you don't have them closed then it might look like you are uploading them, but the actual file extension won't work.

I've tried using docx doc and the same for ppt. I haven't tried chrome or Firefox. And I would assume that the people trying to view them have Microsoft office since they are also uploading Microsoft documents. I am not sure what type of browsers they are using

Get Outlook<http://aka.ms/uzin6x>

ejackson
Community Champion

I oversee our College's Student Help Desk and when we have students contact us with a problem similar to this, most of the time it turns out to be a browser issue, and that browser turns out to be Internet Explorer or Edge. If you haven't tried Chrome or Firefox, please try that and see if the problem clears up. Also, make sure your file is saved and closed; if the file is still open, it will not attach properly. (That's another issue we have seen come up.)

One other thing I'm wondering is if the file might be too large to attach? We have also run into that issue with students trying to attach a file, especially if it is a PowerPoint file with pictures or clipart.

To back up what  @kona ​ said, it would be helpful if you could attach a screenshot of what your discussion and attachment looks like after you post it. That might help us see better what is going on.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@maura_roberto ​, we haven't heard from you in a while, so we're hopeful that one of the solutions above has solved the problem. As  @ejackson ​ has pointed out, the culprit in situations such as this one is almost invariably the Edge browser, and since you stated that you haven't tried Chrome or Firefox, that leads me to believe that you are indeed using Edge (or Internet Explorer, which is just as problematic). I'm going to mark the answer above with the Correct Answer designation. The topic remains open for participation, so if you'd like to post a follow-up question or update us on your results, you may freely do so. Smiley Happy