Hi,

I would like to know whether Canvas supports custom features like:

1. Can it display/handle a 'Like' feature for a content
  2. Can it support/store the time spent by a user on a content
5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @anil_pathiyala  Welcome to the Canvas Community, and thank you for posting your question here.  I'm not sure if this response will completely answer your question, but I'll give it my best shot.

Can it display/handle a 'Like' feature for a content

The only thing that I can think of where students can use a "Like" for a piece of content is Discussion topics.  Check out the section called "Add Discussion Options" within this Guide: How do I create a discussion as an instructor? 

Can it support/store the time spent by a user on a content

When you log in to a course as an instructor, you can look at the time spent on an item by going to the "People" page of a course.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10162-415241458  

If you are looking for more than just these things, please come back to this topic to further explain so that members of the Community might be able to help you out.  Thanks!

Thanks for the reply  @chofer ‌.

I did have a look at your suggestions, they we a little off track for me.

Let me try to put my problem:

• I would like the users to rate the individual contents of a course and then an administrator can find out which contents of the course where highly rated.

I also had a look at the access report which you suggested. This report only gives me information of how many times the course content was accessed, but it doesn't give how much time was spent on viewing the content.

I hope this gives you an idea of my problem statements.

Are there any custom features (custom API) available in Canvas which can be used to solve my problem.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks!

As far as I have been able to find, Canvas does not have a rating system for content in that regard. Your best option would be to create a survey addressing, but it would not automatically update/adjust what content is added/changed/removed. These surveys would need to be maintained in addition to the course content.

I've also been unable to locate a breakdown of activity time reporting. There is the overall time, reported on the People list, but there does not appear to be any form of reporting for individual activity access times.

Hello again,  @anil_pathiyala ...

In addition to the information that cesbrandt has given you today, you might want to check out this "Canvancement" by  @James ‌ called Obtaining and using Access Report data for an entire course.  This is not a part of the "core" Canvas product, but James has provided a way for people to get more detailed information from those Access Reports for your students.  It might contain the information you are looking for.  I hope this helps.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@anil_pathiyala ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie