cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
n_smits
Community Member

Does Quizz feedback allow for rendering equations?

Hi,

I am an assistant professor at the University of Amsterdam. We recently (August 2018) moved from Blackboard to Canvas. In Blackboard we used weekly tests to monitor our students on their statistics skills. We migrated our item banks from Blackboard to Canvas and questions work mostly okay, except for displaying "rich" material in the feedback environments: equations and tables are not shown correctly and plots are simply not shown. This is rather disastrous for our courses because our didactic plan dictates that students should receive extensive feedback (for stats meaning calculations with both equations and numbers). When looking in further detail into the html that Canvas renders in the feedback environment, it seems as if the original html code gets messed up.

My question is: "Is it possible to include rich material in the feedback environment?".

As an aside: I did some extensive testing in January in our test-version of Canvas. As I recall then and there everything (including feedback) seemed to work fine. But since all test-content was deleted by my institution I cannot tell for sure. So it may be a local issue or a general Canvas-thing.

Looking forward to answer!

Niels Smits

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@n_smits , yes, the full richtext editor is available in the question feedback boxes. You can see an example of this on the following guide - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12884-415241477 (This is under the Enter Feedback Text heading). I also teach Statistics and make great use of this for posting full feedback, so I can personally attest to it working. 

As to why why the feedback isn’t showing up, I can’t be much help. You could try Canvas Support or maybe even the Instructional Designers‌ group in the Community. 

Kona

n_smits
Community Member

Hi Kona,

Thanks for your reply! I will post my question elsewhere as well. 

I have an update question: Would you know if there is a central testversion of Canvas so that one can test things outside of one's own Canvas environment? Blackboard, for example has one, called coursesites.com. That would allow me to check if issues are local or more general. If not, could I send you a zipfile to see if you get the same problem in your institute?

Best,

Niels

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@n_smits ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

In december things changed a bit. Although plots and tables are still not rendered in the feedback environment, displaying equations works now, which makes more or less workable.

Best,

Niels