cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skyler_todd
Community Participant

Does canvas support any 3rd party student portal integrations

We currently have our very own student portal that we would like to somehow integrate into a standalone hosted Canvas instance.  I am looking for existing patterns / ideas on how that looks with a product like canvas.  Does anyone have experience with this, or information that can point me in the right direction of where to look for ideas.

Thank you,

Skyler

7 Replies
tiffany_morgan
Community Contributor

I don't know that I have an answer, but when you say portal do you mean like a student information management system like Infinite Campus (or similar)?

Tiffany,
I am not familiar with Infinite campus's product offerings, if they have a portal that the students can log into to see a variety of information (SIS info, Communication, LMS info) then yes.  I am mainly thinking something like an SSO solution where the students do not even realize they have switched products when they launch their courses. 

Yea there are a variety of services and products out there, each doing something different, but that sounds like an SIS tool to me.

We have an SIS configured for our Canvas installation for SSO and data sharing. We connect via API. Canvas's APIs are really well documented so hopefully your portal provider can review this and help get you what you need: Authentication Providers - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation 

Also, I believe Canvas coordinates with some of the major SIS providers. You might see if your client services manager can help with this as well. They were a big help for us when we moved to Canvas. 

tiffany_morgan
Community Contributor

Also, to your other point about not knowing they have switched tool, we don't have that with the SIS-Canvas integration. We have something similar with our course content providers where the content is delivered to the course via LTI. There it is embedded right in Canvas and looks pretty seemless-students have no idea the content doesn't live right within the page they are viewing. https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10724-67952720325 

Tiffany, 
I am looking for a student experience close to the LTI experience you stated, but from the other direction.  Instead of LTI going from Canvas to Content I am looking to provide an LTI like experience from a Student Portal to Canvas.  Thank you for your input, I am not sure if what I'm looking for exists for Canvas yet.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @skyler_todd ...

I don't really have an answer for you, but I wanted to check in with you because I noticed there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic for over four months.  Have you been able to come up with any solutions since you first posted this topic?  If so, would you be willing to share what you've found out back here in this thread?  Or, if you're still looking for some help with this question, please let us know that as well by posting a message below.  Also, if there is an answer above that has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  However, by all means, please let us know if there is anything that we can do to help you out further.  I will also share your question with the Canvas Developers‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=255b6fd2-6c4c-414c-b23e-08580fed6bb... groups here in the Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you are not yet following either of these groups, please use the links I've provided and then click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of the screen.  Also, you may need to click on the "Actions" >> "Join group" menu item in each of those groups.  Finally, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we haven't seen much activity in this topic for well over four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Skyler.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

skyler_todd
Community Participant

The best we have been able to do is configure canvas to use our Oauth2 system so that when a user is redirect to canvas they are automatically logged in. Between this and the API's we have an okay integration, it could be better.